Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

14. The Swingers

"How was the meeting?" Ashton asks as we walk hand in hand along the park path, watching Chloe gliding ahead on her rollerblades.

"It was good. We met our clients at Marché and Thicke, then they gave us a little tour of their workplace."

"After dinner? What sort of company is still open on Saturday evening?"

"Well, it wasn't a company company."

"Okay?" When I don't respond right away, he asks, "Is it supposed to be confidential?"

"No." I clear my throat. "'Twasasexclub," I say in one breath, my voice almost squeaking.

Ashton turns his head to me. "What club?"

I bite my lower lip, glancing at him like a kid getting busted from not telling their parents the thing they should beforehand. "It was a sex club."

It takes him several seconds before he replies, "Oh." It's the only reaction he gives.

Our hands are still locked, but his silence creates an invisible distance between us. This is more jarring compared to when we have an open argument. At least, I'll know what he's thinking, if he's mad, disappointed, or questioning me

"It was not planned. We talked about their exclusive clubs and their need for a partner to provide the equipment during the meals. Then they wanted to give us a quick tour to give me a clear idea. I just couldn't refuse it."

"Okay." If he's pissed, he doesn't show it. But technically speaking, I didn't have to ask for his permission. "How was it?" he asks.

"Ppff." I heave a sigh. "Honestly? It was intense. I hadn't been to any sex clubs before."

"I can imagine."

"But I was surprised by how clean and neat it was. Nothing like I always imagined."

"A well-managed club should be like that. Well, at least you had the old marketing leader with you last night. Dougal was it?"

I gulp. "No, I didn't go with Douglas. It was Leopold."

"Okay."

And another silence takes over. I bet he's trying to process the information about his girlfriend going to a sex club with the guy he believes is an asshole. The tricky part is that it wasn't for a leisure visit; it was for a business purpose. I didn't do anything wrong.

No matter how absurd this situation is, I can't apologize for something I didn't do.

Chloe is gliding back toward us with a huge grin on her face. "Look what I can do!"

With that, she opens her legs apart, turns around, and stops on her spot, her torso leaning forward for balance. After she's sure she doesn't fall, she straightens up her body and looks at us proudly, prompting me and Ashton to clap our hands.

"What a cool move! Amazing balance, though!" I say, answered by Chloe's big grin before she slides forward again.

"Not too far!" Ashton shouts, and she just waves her hand at us without looking back. This is Chloe's favorite park after all, and she knows every corner like she knows the back of her hand, but Ashton will always have to say it for the sake of habit.

After we walk in silence again, I glance up at him. His eyes are staring ahead, but I know his mind is elsewhere.

"Are you mad or something?" I ask carefully.

It takes a good thirty seconds for Ashton to reply. "I'm not mad. Just...not liking this at all."

"It was just work. Nothing sexual."