Wattpad Original
There are 19 more free parts

1. The CEO's Girlfriend

When I was a kid, I wondered how it felt to be a superstar. Were they feeling elated when they walked on the red carpet, wrapped in spectacular gowns and accessories that made people faint once they saw the price? Or were they thrilled when eyes were following their every movement, the cameras shot rampant flashes, and news reporters competed to have a piece of them? Were they happy to be on top of the world?

These days, I have a solid answer to that question. The intense attention will turn to either a potion that helps them push forward, or a poison that slowly crushes their souls.

I don't need to be a superstar to see it. Being Ashton Knight's girlfriend is enough to trigger curious eyes to follow me everywhere, or to force people to behave unnaturally in front of me. They might be overly friendly but once my back is facing them, they'll religiously talk about me. I'm not poor but dating one of the CEOs in this company group is what it takes to draw conclusions that I live a life I can't afford with my own money.

Just like this morning, when I stride to the Remington building entrance. People are ogling me, drinking in my figure, probably to decide how much my clothes and accessories cost, yet they smile at me widely.

"Morning, Ms. Garnett," says a woman by the entrance. I have no idea who she is.

The security officer nods at me. "Good morning, ma'am."

"Oh g-good m-morning, miss," says a young man, an awkward smile on his face and a large paper tray with coffee cups in his hands.

"You look dazzling in that dress, Ms. Garnett!" says the receptionist when I pass her desk, repeating the same old comment she made every single morning. The day when I first set foot in this building, greeted by her toothpaste-ads smile, feels like a decade ago now, while it has been barely two years ago.

"Thank you, Fransisca. You look stunning yourself," I reply as I stride to the elevator. Stunning, astonishing, formidable, breathtaking, and marvelous are my default complimentary words for her, one word a day, Monday to Friday.

The lobby is not that busy, probably because it's the first day of the week; the majority of people are still stuck in the Monday traffic. I'm supposed to be one of them, but this morning I had to drive my daughter to my sister's pretty early. As I approach the elevator corridor, people wearing black suits are standing in a group. I saw them last week in the company orientation class. The newbies. Once they see me, they give way, letting me take the front row in the waiting line while murmuring "good morning".

I gesture to the elevator with my hand and smile brightly at them. "Please, first come, first served." With that, I stand at a noticeable distance, farther away from the lift.

Once the car arrives, they squeeze in to fit everyone in one go, and it's almost painful to see it. What can I say? None of them probably wants to get stuck here alone with me if they can help it.

I take a few steps forward when the elevator starts to depart, allowing me to see my reflection on its shiny metallic doors. An elegant lilac blazer snugs around my torso flawlessly, complimenting the knee-length pencil skirt in the same shade, as if the attire was tailor-made for me. My nude stilettos blend with my skin color and for some reason, I look leggy because of it, like those catwalk models.

It's when a tall figure emerges from behind me. Before I can turn around, an arm pulls me gently by the waist and in the next second, I'm in Ashton's embrace.

"There you are," he says, leaning down and kissing me on the lips. "Good morning. I thought you said you would turn up late today. it's Chloe's school trip, right?"

"Good morning. Sophie offered to bring the girls to the meeting point if I could drop Chloe earlier off at her house." I wipe my lipstick off his lips with my finger while admiring his handsome face. "But I do need to pick them up later."