Wattpad Original
Te quedan 15 partes más de forma gratuita

5. Don't Tell Ashton

Dear Ms. Garnett,

I hope this email finds you well.

We have reviewed your profile, and we strongly believe that your qualifications fit the requirements of our client. We cannot disclose the company name yet, but our client is a fast-growing manufacturer in the consumer-good industry that is planning to expand to a B-to-B business.

Please reply to this email if you're interested in this opportunity. We would be happy to arrange an interview with you.

Regards,
Janine Morgan
A Recruitment Consultant - CareerHunt

-----------------------------------------

I reread the interview offer from the recruitment consultant a gazillion times, but my brain refuses to magically pop out a solid decision. I'm thinking of skipping it because even though I'm pissed at my current situation, jumping to another company now feels a bit too impulsive. But again, what if I missed a good opportunity? Maybe just attending the interview won't hurt. It's not like I have to agree to switch jobs right away. It's for the sake of my curiosity.

My fingers are hovering over the keyboard when Dickson stops at my door, grinning like a child getting caught stealing the whole jar of Nutella. Not expecting his sudden appearance, I quickly close my laptop, hiding my secret mission from my direct boss.

"Ashton told me," he says, leaning on the door frame with his hands in his pockets. "I guess I owe you an apology. Please don't hate me, Charlie."

I lean back in my chair, cross my arm over my chest, and give him a deadpan look. "That's not how you apologize."

He drops his head, his blond bangs falling over his forehead. "I know, I know. I need to buy you lunch for a week."

"This time, I just want an explanation, Dickson."

He nods. "Maybe we should get out of here," he says, turning his head to check the corridor. "It's safer to talk outside."

"Where are we going?"

"Put your jacket on, and we will decide while walking. We only have forty minutes left before the lunch break is over. Let me grab mine and I'll meet you at the lobby."

"But I brought lunch," I say but he already disappears into the corridor. I sigh as I pick up my lunch from the table and bring it back to the fridge.

People abruptly stop talking about whatever topic they were brewing before I enter the pantry. I just nod awkwardly at them before sticking my food box into the fridge. So much for avoiding the gossiping people, since it's the favorite spot for staff members from different departments to exchange information.

Dickson is already standing by the main entrance by the lobby when I arrive. His red bomber jacket looks out of place among people in suits and blazers, but he loves his jacket a bit too much, especially when he doesn't have to attend any formal events. Without saying any words, we stride side by side to exit the building.

"Let's go to the hotdog food truck," he says. "We haven't been eating there since spring."

"Okay."

The food truck is located near the park a few blocks from our building. It has become our favorite fast food since he took me here during the time I broke up with Ashton last year. It was also the moment when Dickson started to open up to me. The drama has become a distant memory now.

"I'm sorry for withholding the information, Charlie," Dickson starts. "I swear I wanted to subtly warn you about what was going on, but I just hadn't found a way to do it. I hope you don't think less of me after knowing what happened."