23 | be careful of him

Start from the beginning

I turn to look at my brother. He's still standing with his arms folded across his chest. No fleck of expression at all. He's completely blank faced until he releases a slow and painful laugh. Like someone has cut through his stomach and he's choking up blood whilst he chuckles.

"And you think that it could be me?"

Gabriel's voice is so lethal I barely recognise it. I should not be here. I should not fucking be here.

"I didn't say that." Lonzo's voice is steady.

"But that's what it sounds like you're accusing me of," he takes one step forward, his tone becoming sharper. Offended if anything. "I've known you for years, Lonzo. I've backed you at every given opportunity. I've gone to the ends of the earth for this empire and you think I'd stab you in the back like this?"

Lonzo's jaw tenses as he stares back at him. "I've been thinking cautiously, that's all. Anyone could be a threat. And this is my empire, remember? It's not yours. It's mine."

Gabriel curses and presses his fingers into his eyes. "Wow, Lonzo," he drags out the letters. Then when I hear him exhale a deadbeat sigh, I know he's exhausted. "This is a new low."

"You know everything, Gabriel. How can you not expect me to be weary of everyone who has ever been here?"

I listen to my brother as he laughs to himself sourly. "I can't fucking believe this. Shit."

Lonzo breathes out heavily through his nose. "I'm not accusing you of doing anything but anyone who was here at the time that message was sent, could be a threat to us."

Gabriel digs through his pocket and raises his phone. "You want to go through this and check if I'm lying?"

"Don't be stupid, you'd never use your real phone for this shit." Lonzo leans a hand onto his desk, brows pulled down tightly.

"Holy shit," Gabriel glances up at the ceiling. "I can't believe this is happening."

I glance between the pair of them. Danger and fire dancing in their eyes. If they're not careful, they will be brawling on the floor in a minute and I'll have absolutely no clue what to do.

After a few moments of silence Gabriel steps even closer. "Alright, fine. Be weary of me. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that someone is out there, someone who is messing with the empire. You think I'd want to mess with Landon when I know Alexia was staying here? I'd never be that stupid to put her in danger because I know what Landon can get like with his petty revenge."

Lonzo straightens his spine and folds his arms over his broad shoulders. For a moment he flicks his gaze to mine, seizing up what Gabriel just said. Anyone can see how protective my brother is of me, he cares, he knows that this is a dangerous life. He'd do anything for me and Lonzo knows it.

His fingers press to the piece of paper on his desk and he slides it across the wooden surface. "Here are the rest of the names. We need to infiltrate them and figure out which lying bastard has done this. I don't want them breathing by the end of the week."

Lonzo's heavy and determined voice has me shuddering. I've seen him acting lethal and unleashed but to hear his voice like that. God. I've never heard something so deadly and so sexy at the same time.

"I'll leave you guys to it," I clear my throat and leave his office without another word.

Gabriel watches me as I walk around him. He's still not happy, there is a glint in his eye that screams our conversation isn't done. But if they need to sort through their business, they'll need to do it alone.

I head downstairs and grab myself some water from the sink. Harriet is there in a flash and she smiles at me. "Hi," I say as I draw the cup away from my lips.