Chapter 30

needed

I clearly remember how the voices of time placed admonitions in the back of my mind.

The Past told me not to be reminded of it, but to rather learn from it. The Present kept on whispering in muted tones how it must be utilized than to be just embraced. Likewise, the Future told me not to anticipate, but rather rustled the words, 'prepare for me'.

Yet, it doesn't seem like I've made preparations for this exact situation.

"Congratulations on consistently not making it on time!" Engr. Robles shrieked with sarcasm.

Discussions went on for over a minute or so. I can hear the mumbling of their voices, but couldn't really grasp and understand what they were saying. Thick pressure surrounded the focus I have on Khael, while some eerie noise radiated beyond the sound of their conversation. It's as if I'm looking at the very presence of a so-so ghost; like a corpse which was made flesh once again before my own eyes.

I could already feel my muscles straining. The thoughts in my head turned from fear to a dizzy confusion, while hearing the tell-tale worrisome sound from my lungs as I breathe... not until the voice of my P.A. has snapped me back to reality.

"Miss Cat?"

Ibinaling nilang lahat ang atensiyon sa akin nang tawagin ang pangalan ko. I unconsciously raised both of my brows at Ross, still getting a hold of myself.

"'Yung architect," Pagdidiin niya na para bang ilang beses na niya itong inulit. "He's here."

I shifted my gaze towards Khael. Panandaliang nagsalubong ang kilay ko nang mapagtantong hindi matanda ang architect na bumungad sa amin ngayon. Ayon sa pagkakaalam ko, may edad na ang kinuhang architect ng Alcazar. Is her vision poor enough to have not distinguished that this man is no graybeard but the past lover of her granddaughter?

Engr. Robles, on the other hand, placed her hand on my right arm and formally welcomed everyone. "Michael, ito ang apo ng mga Lacuesta. Ms. Catleya, this is Mr. Sauvestre. He designed the auditorium." She concluded with a smile.

Hindi ako nag-alis ng tingin kay Khael. If only I were my old self, I would've jumped over him and wrapped him around my arms, as if I were a butterfly who've been yearning for my cocoon for a very long time. I would've screamed on the top of my lungs, crying and telling him words I struggle to say due to these narrowed breaths brought by the heaviest emotions. 

If I only were the old me.

"Good to see you again." Khael spoke. That's a start for someone who has ghosted you for the past five years. Kitang-kita ko ang pagtaas ng kilay sa akin ni Ross.

"It appears that you two have already met." Engr. Robles spoke beside me, still with a hold of my arm. Ford anxiously slid his hands into his pockets, trying to avoid the conversation.

I didn't even bother to speak. Diresto lamang ang tingin ng mga mata niya sa akin. Mayroong emosyon na kanina ko pa sinusuri ngunit hindi ko maipinta. I've created a habit of reading eyes and listening to their message because they speak so much of the truth. But his were those of which I find very hard to read.