♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕿𝔴𝔬 ♔

Start from the beginning

My cheeks heat as I return my sights to the desk. "Why did you dance with me?"

"Intrigue." He answers without a pause of consideration. "I was curious about the human who defied all worldly logic."

I hum, re-dip into the ink, and we begin writing again. "Why?"

"The first night I met you, between the trees with Libitina and the Dearg Due, I did not expect you to be quite so,"

"Feisty." I finish, recalling the exact word the demon had used to describe me.

I spare a chaste glance to Calix to see the way his lips lift with amusement. "Yes. And then Libitina told me later that she smelled something between us." At that, I frown, and as though sensing it, Calix continues. "She said we smelled similar, as though we shared something. She was not sure what, but it only furthered my interest. I wished to know everything about you."

He dots after my name and removes his hand from mine. I lay down the quill and turn to him completely. "Does she still smell it now?"

He contemplates. "Some – she has described it as far more potent, since you became Fae. Except she says it has become quilted now, with the scent of something else." My lips part somewhat as I study him, unsure of what to say to that. He meets me verbatim, eyes tracking across my features as if searching for a response. I am not sure what would be the right one to give. Nor am I sure what it is he wishes to hear. In the silence, he allows free his shadows, and a single tendril runs down the skin of my arm. "I remember, when we danced, how you reacted to the way my shadows touched you, too."

I shiver. Not with disgust. Instead, a hot ribboning sensation that spins around my spine elicits a feeling closer to pleasure. It forces a weak, feeble sort of noise from me.

He holds my stare as he moves his shadow from my hand to my thigh, gentle swishing movements progressing it inward.

I think I lean forward.

A heavy knock sounds at the door and I startle upright, pulling away from Calix in a rush of embarrassment. It was not as though we were doing anything wrong, but I feel as though we have been caught doing something outrageous.

His shadow slinks away slowly, reluctantly, as I call out, "Enter."

The assigned Equerry Stellen enters dressed in flowing garbs; hands clasped before him. He is not my keenest fan, not after what I did to his late King, but his professionalism is admirable. I doubt very much he will attempted to betray me, despite his dislike, for he has seen what I am capable of. He might not smile at me, or do much to hide the hatred in his dark eyes, but he still presents himself as a loyal subject to his newly instated Queen.

He meets me with a deep bow. "Your demon tells me you wish for notice of your reign to be sent."

I flash a smile, releasing the Stygian to roll the parchment and tie them with string, all four extended to Stellen at once. He blanches in their presence. "Yes. If you could send trusted travellers with the news – to all Realms but Vrodora." He nods, takes the letters with apprehension from the Stygian, and turns to leave. "Oh, Stellen. Libitina is not my demon. She is a demon, with a name that you are required to use. I do not wish for you to refer to her as property again."

He flounders for a moment, before bowing again. "My apologies, Your Highness."

"I am due leave to return to Vrodora. I trust that you will oversee the enforcement of my current rulings until I can return? I expect reports of progress every week to arrive at the Night Court."

"Of course. For how long should we to expect your absence?"

"I will return when I can, but it may be a few months." He nods complacently, an obvious keenness to the notion I will be gone for some time. "I wish to see that the Outskirts Market is alive once more upon my return. Send out requests of traders from me, and that they will be rewarded handsomely by the Queen for sharing their craft with the people."