20. ✭so i can truly win✭

Modern Soundtrack: Cinnamon Girl by Lana Del Rey☼

~

2 YEARS LATER

I am again back at Hogwarts, except this time, I was a seventh year and not a new fifth year. The past few years were nothing special, I had honed in on my new magic abilities, gained some new friends, and overall learned more about myself.

But, most importantly, I learned the lessons I was taught by Elezar Fig. I had finally come to terms with the fact that he was no longer around. But, he will always live in me. In my heart, my soul, the air I breathe.

Walking back into this familiar castle was nothing short of a bittersweet feeling. However, this time there was no storm raging over the castle, but a soft glow of the sun.

The corridors were decorated with purple streams and glowing lanterns. The papers plastered to the walls read:

Yule Ball, This Christmas!

I took a deep breath. We have never had a Yule Ball at the school before, at least not while I was here. I heard through the grapevine that Professor Black did not approve of it. Then, what makes him change his mind now?

"Celestial!" Garreth ran up to me with open arms and pulled me into an embrace. We had remained friends for the past few years.

I couldn't help but notice he was much taller. He had a strong sense of maturity to him I'd never seen before.

The kiss we shared that one fateful night started a sweet but subtle romance between us. It was quite unspoken, however. I don't think any other student in the castle knew.

We got caught kissing in his Gryffindor room virtually once a week by Professor Weasley, but she never told a soul and the word was never spread. Whenever people asked us what we were, it was always labeled as, "just friends."

So that's how it remained, on and off, for the past two years. At this point, we are still flirtatious with one another, but deep inside, I always knew something quite pivotal was missing. It was the charm, eloquence, and charisma that only pertained to a young Slytherin boy named Sebastian Sallow.

But, Garreth didn't know that - nor did he ever need to hear that. He lead a happy-go-lucky lifestyle, and I was not about to intrude on that. So, I just let him live.

"If it isn't Garreth Weasley!" I exclaimed, flashing him a genuine smile.

"You must have missed me during the summer..." he teased and I let out a laugh.

"Oh, don't you know me so well," I retorted and watched from across the hall, a familiar face waving at me. It was Poppy. Her hair was much longer, but she had remained the same height.

"Oh! Cel! You must be so excited for this Yule Ball!" She yelled with excitement.

"I am not sure how excited to be, I have never gone to one before, I doubt I would even be able to find a date..." I said and Garreth interrupted with a scoff.

"You do know I am standing right here!" He said, but I just shook my head playfully.

"I think she wants someone else to take her, Garreth," Poppy said, glancing over at me. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"And who would that be?" I asked teasingly.

"Someone rather unattainable... Someone actually making their way over here right now." All eyes turned to the entrance of the castle. It had been lined with suitcases and another familiar face found its way into the corridor arches.

Sebastian.

A crowd of people exchanged some worried glances, as word had traveled and they were all horrified of a murderer studying at this school. He was wearing a gray coat rather than his usual Slytherin robe.

Apparently, during sixth year he was suspended. He knew it from the beginning that would be his fate. But, luckily, his crime was seen as an act of self-defense, so he was allowed back onto campus. I did not know or care too much to find out more because it was quite a touchy subject. Even the mention of his name tore me to shreds.

All I knew was I was doing just fine without him. Until I wasn't.

He continued to walk past all the leering stares and I watched as his wandering eyes met mine. It was a fleeting moment, but nevertheless electrifying. It felt as if the world slowed down and it was only me and him.

But, alas, that is not the case. He is but a stranger with a friendly face. A story that no matter how many times you read it, will always have the same ending.

I looked over at Poppy and Garreth who had engaged in conversation, practically oblivious to the event that had just taken place. But, maybe it was all in my head. Maybe this feeling of falling back in love was but a figment of my imagination... like everything, it holds no reliable truth.

____

In Herbology later that week I watched as Adelaide inched closer and closer to Sebastian.

I studied her inherent flirtatious mannerisms. They were distinct but subtle enough for a boy like him not to be able to notice with the naked eye.

He didn't seem to care, though. His eyes stayed glued to his Chinese Chomping Cabbages pot.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Over the years I had lost respect in Adelaide. It was if she was yearning for something that would never be hers. Or mine... for that matter. But, nevertheless, her actions were indecent. In front of everyone, at that.

After class was over I walked out in a hurry. I couldn't bear to see that atrocity unfold again. But, I soon found myself at the entrance of the undercroft. I felt my face drain of color.

"What are you doing here?" A gravelly voice asked me. It was Sebastian, I almost did not recognize him. His voice had dropped an octave and carried much more of a rugged sound.

"Nothing- I,"

"Don't expect us to just pick up where we left off. What we had is over," he said in a harsh tone. My eyes widened as I studied his frame. Tall, handsome, alluring. I could scarcely breathe.

"What do you mean? You're treating me as if I'm some sort of stranger."

"That is what we are now. Being around you brings nothing but sadness. You... you are the reason why I have no one left," he muttered contemptuously.

Maybe during his suspension something had changed in his mind. Maybe from all that free time his mind got the best of him. Either way, I didn't want to believe what I was hearing.

"Sebastian, I was there for you from the very beginning, I loved you from the start," I attempted to explain.

"It was never love, you were merely there at my most vulnerable," he said and it felt like a stab to the heart. "Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go."