1. ✭ every night that goes between ✭

Modern Soundtrack: First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes☼

~

It was a dark and gloomy night, full of iridescent stars gleaming through the cracks of the scattered clouds. A violent storm was swirling around outside the ominous castle as a white mist blackened around my feet. I stepped foot onto the immense Hogwarts Campus and soon was scurried off into the sorting ceremony.

"Celestial Lovegood, come forth." The Sorting Hat spoke and the color left my face almost instantaneously. I exchanged some glances with the eager 1st years, knowing I was most definitely out of place - coming in here as a 5th year. I found it hard to maintain eye contact with anyone in this instance, as no one really knew the prior events that had just taken place. Professor Fig was nowhere to be found and right now he was my only sense of solace.

I sat down on the chair as my breath hitched and my eyes darted to my ripped-up boots. "Hmmm, interesting. You must be sorted into Ravenclaw, but you are different than your predecessors. Much different, Hufflepuff, perhaps... and so it is, Hufflepuff!" An eruption of clapping and cheering snapped me out of my crestfallen haze. My eyes darted around, eventually allowing my feet to walk over to the Hufflepuff table with the other excited faces.

The hours seemed to linger on, I felt as though I was the ingénue of the school. The new girl who didn't belong here. But, I knew I had to prove them wrong. It was only a matter of time before I left the mark on my muggle blood family.

____

Defense of the Dark Arts. My first class and a first warm welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. There were only a handful of people in the class, but I still felt like I was the only one- by the leering stares. Professor Hecat apparently saw my apprehensiveness and decided to pursue it in a game of duel.

"Sebastian will do," she spoke lightly, with a smile to herself as if she knew exactly what she was doing pairing me up with him.

I was resolute and he was cocky. His brown hair swept to the side in a complicated curl. His auburn eyes have a bright gleam in them that I hadn't noticed from any other students. His eyes were intriguing as if he had a story behind them... one destined to be read. But, before I could continue, the floor above us raised suddenly to the point where I almost lost my balance.

He drew out his wand, signaling me to do the same. "You may begin," Professor Hecat spoke, and I instantly cast Levioso - tunneling him into the air and soon straight on his face. I took a sudden deep breath, worried I had hurt him. The way he glanced up at me was quite endearing... well until he began to fight back. An uneasy flicker passed through Professor Hecat's face. But, at that point, I knew. I won the duel.

"Not bad for a beginner... what was your name again, Celestial?" Sebastian had come up to me after class was over with a smile. He didn't seem hurt or embarrassed by his losing, he quite honestly seemed like the proud master of a newly-taught apprentice.

"Cel, and thank you," I added.

"You know, you might be a perfect fit for a dueling organization, would you be interested?" He asked so abruptly as if he thought I was on my way out of the class already. I squinted at him, his amber eyes expressionless.

"I'm not too sure, maybe if I have the time. I have so much to learn about this school, especially coming in this late." He nodded. "I was even late to the sorting ceremony."

"You were the best thing to happen to that dreary night," he spoke, oozing confidence.

"Please don't flatter me, I know I'm practically the laughingstock of the crowd. The new 5th year who doesn't even show up on time to her first day."

"I wish I were lying, but you were quite the intriguing specimen, I saw the way everyone's faces gleamed when you walked by. Even my buddy Ominis was eager for a potential Slytherin placement..." He trailed off.

"Is that so? I'm glad someone saw me as something other than insufficient."

"You've got to have more confidence, you beat me, the master of duels, of course," He looked up at me with raised eyebrows, most likely noticing I had somewhere to be. "Till next time, then."

We exchanged smiles and I was soon on my way. As I walked down the spiraling stairs, I thought to myself how much I enjoyed that interaction, how maybe I had finally started to feel included.

_____

As the day drew on, I couldn't help to think about Sebastian. I began scribbling in the margins of my notes and smiling whenever I walked by the Defense of the Dark Arts Tower. It wasn't like me to feel like this.

He was much like me and he seemed to understand me in a way no other peers could. The support he showed me after the duel sparked some sort of connection between us and I will be the first to admit, I was excited. However, before I could continue to daydream, I was told some oddly perfect news.

"Sebastian will accompany you to Hogsmeade, to get your supplies. Go meet him down in the courtyard now."