"You can think of me however you'd like, if it quells your anger," Mark said finally. Donghyuck just scoffed. "I will try to help you understand. I hope you will, with time."

Donghyuck rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't hold my breath, big guy."

Mark ignored his snide remark and simply stood to his feet, glancing down at Donghyuck. "I think we should have a meal together again, sometime soon. I'd also like if we set aside a time to talk and get to know each other, in a more relaxed setting."

"More relaxed—meaning without guards?" Donghyuck quipped, "how unusual. I thought it would be too risky for us to go anywhere without them."

"Guards will always be nearby, but they don't need to hover while you're with me," Mark replied exasperatedly, "you forget that I'm an alpha, Donghyuck. I am strong enough to defend you myself if it were to come down to it."

"Oh I'm sure," Donghyuck snapped sarcastically, "because you're such a big strong man, right? How noble of you to protect the weak, frail little omega that can't do anything for himself."

Mark grit his teeth and turned to glare down at Donghyuck. "You just never quit with that, do you? Were you never taught how to accept kindness and generosity?"

"Weren't you ever taught that kidnapping people is wrong?" Donghyuck retorted, meeting Mark's glare with a scathing look of his own.

"You are impossible," Mark hissed, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. "I will prepare another dinner for us tonight. I do hope you will attend."

"What if I don't?" Donghyuck shot back, smug.

"Then I will bring your food to your quarters directly, where we may chat more privately," Mark said, staring at Donghyuck for a moment longer before turning and starting to walk back into the palace. "I hope it will not come to that, though. I'd much rather eat with you properly."

"It's cute that you think I actually care about what you'd rather do," Donghyuck grinned, his voice yet again laced with that same saccharine sweetness that made Mark's skin prickle with irritation.

Mark simply walked away, barely sparing the omega another glance as he strode back into the palace and refused to give into Donghyuck's taunting.

┈ ୨ 👑 ୧ ┈

"No way, I'm not going."

"What?" Renjun cried, the luxurious robe he had been presenting to Donghyuck as an outfit option for his dinner with the king falling out of his hands and onto the floor. "What do you mean?"

"I'm not going," Donghyuck repeated, scoffing as he crossed his arms and leaned back against his bed frame, "are you kidding me? He treats me like shit, and we do nothing but argue whenever we're together. Why on god's green earth would I willingly choose to spend my evening with someone like that?"

"He's the king, Donghyuck," Renjun whispered sharply, glancing over his shoulder conspiratorially before leaning in closer, "you cannot refuse a request from the king, that is perhaps the most blasphemous thing you could possibly do."

"So what if he's the stupid king?" Donghyuck scowled, "he's not my mom. He can't tell me what to do. I don't want to go, so I'm not going, simple as that."

"Donghyuck... Your Grace... please think of the consequences," Renjun said exasperatedly.

"What consequences? He can't do anything to me. He needs me, which means I'm basically untouchable," Donghyuck smirked, puffing his chest proudly.