Precursor

This chapter is a transition between Callisto and Proximus, the moments in between leaving Earth and what lies beyond. 

Book 1 - Callisto must be read first!

--

This is such a strange sensation. Light and tingly. Images like memories float around in my head but they aren't real. I've never been here before, I've never lived this moment. 

The soft grass beneath my legs and the sun beating down on my face is warm and welcoming but it fills me with confusion. Where am I? I think I'm back on Earth. Instead of panicking though, I just sink further into the ground. Am I unconscious? Did I die? My body is so relaxed, it's possible, I suppose. 

I feel him close by and my whole body reacts. Flushed but also calm. He's near, I can finally breathe. Spreading my body out on the ground, I let the sunlight glow against my eyelids. This feels good. 

Not as good as Ronan, but nothing feels that good.

The large tree above me rattles softly in the breeze. 

The slow, hazy sensation of sleep begins to wrap around me. Even when I'm unconscious he occupies my thoughts. Flashing images in my mind, his face, concentrated and serious. There's nothing sexual about it but I can't help but feel warm. It's such a strange feeling to be connected to someone else this way. I can feel him, sense him as if he is an extension of myself. I guess that's kind of the point.

We're connected.

My body responds immediately to his presence. His hand slides across my stomach, moving beneath my shirt to heat my skin. In this hazy state between sleeping and waking, I somehow know that this is not a dream but it's also not reality, it's something in between. 

I'm not sure what this is but I'm going to take it. I won't spoil the moment by questioning it too much. This is the most realistic fantasy I've ever had. 

Even in my head the thought of him, lying in the grass beside me, makes me giggle.

Peeling my eyes open, I roll over on my side to face him.

"Have you ever done this before?"

"No, I do not lie in the grass." He pulls me to him so that my neck rests on his outstretched arm. I don't miss the way his hand sinks lower over my stomach. It's a subtle movement, barely resting his hand on my hip bone but it ignites my blood.

It feels like it's been so long since he touched me. 

I want him to move lower, to bring his large, capable hand down to ease the ache between my legs. 

Pressing my face into his neck, I kiss his throat while running my fingers through his hair. A soft groan echoes against my lips. I love that sound.

"Nicole," he warns, sounding stern but I know better. He's not angry, he's frustrated.

Looks like he's as frustrated as I am.

Choosing to ignore him, I lick him gently from the notch in his neck up over his Adam's apple.

In a split second, the world rolls. He pins me down against the grass beneath his body. When our eyes meet I shiver, the look in his eyes causing a shudder in my body.

"You enjoy tormenting me," he's not asking.

"Sometimes."

His gaze darkens, like storms rolling in, blocking out the sun. "I wonder if you would like to be on the receiving end of such agony..." His voice is soft, and thoughtful.