[𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃]

You feel a tap on your shoulder. It's Haruhi.

"Shall we go to the clubroom now?"

Ever since the Physical Examination Day, you would like to believe the girl in disguise has been placing more trust in you, which you are glad of since the bond will certainly support your discreet investigation.

"Sure. The twins are not going, by the way?"

Of course, you haven't forgotten that her association with the Host Club still makes her one of the prime suspects of... hmmm whatever it is that you got to establish now before it shall be escalated to the elite team of the bureau. You hate to say this but you do not have the slightest inkling of what you are dealing with here. The rom-com absurdity often convinces you that this whole thing is just a huge camera prank.

The gist that you have gotten from the case docket is that this could be a potential cartel situation. But sweet angelic innocent Haruhi being in a cartel? Nah, even with how amiss your judgment of people's character has been lately, you are willing to bet your life that Haruhi is not on the dark side.

Whereas the rest of the Host Club...

"Ah, they have left earlier because they are in charge of today's costumes."

"Oh... Okay."

Hearing the word 'costumes' in this school's context always weirds you out, but you suppose you are more weirded out by how Haruhi sounds like she is already getting used to it.

You wonder if you will one day get used to it the longer you remain here.

But you have certainly found comfort in the interactions you share with Haruhi. No gibberish about high-end products from countries you never know ever exists. No shoddy pick-up line. No pretentious flirting attempts. She is so normal, except for the fact that she is too perfect yet dense not to realise how dead drop gorgeous she is. Male disguise or not. But again, that really adds up to her charm, you suppose.

The two of you are currently enjoying a peaceful stroll to Music Room 3 among the sea of students who are leaving from their last classes of the day in Ouran Academy. Spring sunlight spills onto the lush carpeting of the long orthodox-designed corridor through the grand glass windows, and its warmth slightly melts the anxiety that you constantly carry on your shoulders.

"By the way, how did you do in this morning's te..."

You fail to catch the end of Haruhi's sentence as your ears suddenly decide to tune out her voice. However, you are most certain that you are not going deaf as it still manages to pick up a tune in the distance.

"Finally...

I've found myself...

A reason to be strong."

It is supposed to be an alien instrumental ringtone to you, but your brain manages to fill in the missing lyrics as if you have known this song all your life. And as if on instinct, your body runs to where you think the sound is coming from, surprising Haruhi in the process.

But that sensation unfortunately left you as fast as it arrived, and the murmurings of the crowd at the sight of the transfer student running maniacally in the corridor gradually return to violate your ears, drowning out the triggering ringtone.

A tap on your shoulder from Haruhi once again brings you back out of your reverie.

Back to the reality in which you could not remember a certain past.

But now that you are here in Japan, surely it wouldn't be long until you find the answers to the missing gap in your recollection, right? You sombrely think to yourself until Haruhi starts asking if you are all right. You sheepishly look at her before you snap your head towards the blue sky across the glass windows with a start. You thought you were experiencing a relapse of that sensation but all you can see is a plane flying across the vast blue expanse and leaving a contrail in its wake.