[𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃-2]

<<A Night of Miracle with You-2>>

Ootori Kyoya

"Thank you so much for your service," Kyoya says to the police representatives who came to update him on the ongoing situation.

"Don't sweat it. To be frank, we didn't really do much. You kids are in the luck that some unknown bigger force was actually in action to apprehend this man," the detective-in-charge remarks. He points his thumb towards the criminal sitting at the back seat of the police car parked outside the academy.

"Bigger force?" Kyoya repeats the intriguing emphasis brought up by the older man.

"Yeah, the rat keeps mumbling incoherently about 'they shouldn't have been here,' 'what are they doing in Japan?,' and I actually find it offensive that he begs for us to detain him and not let whoever these people take over his case," the detective explains, clearing his throat at the end to hide his exasperation. Kyoya narrows his eyes in deep thoughts before continuing to ask.

"Do you know whom he is referring to? Are they associated with the police or national defence bodies?"

"That's what we are dying to find out. We fear it might be some organised crime groups. But I'm not surprised if he is referring to the FBI because his profile is actually on the BOLOs. As I said, you kids are truly fortunate; the man apparently never hesitates to take people's lives. But I guess he might have been trying to keep a lower profile here because it turns out he is actually connected to a number of past heists in Japan."

"I see. Nevertheless, we are thankful for the prompt response. Please impart my gratitude to the Superintendent," Kyoya once again thanks the detective. The detective curtly nods in reply before walking towards the exit.

The teen lets out a soft exhale before fixing his glasses. His calm demeanour perfectly masks the turmoil in his mind. But his mulling is soon interrupted by the sound of footsteps behind him. Slightly turning his head to the sound, his eyes catch the tall stature of his senior.

"Is it really not yours?" He calmly voices out the question. Mori only nods before he, too, shifts his gaze towards Kyoya, seemingly asking him the same question.

"No, it's not the Black Onion Squad either." As if understanding the gesture, the bespectacled teen answers before eventually walking away to another direction, away from the revived commotion, not waiting for Mori to respond. It's not like the third-year himself has anything more to say to him.

To say that the past incident still weighs heavily in his mind is an understatement. Although there is no one falling victim to the wanted criminal, it perturbs Kyoya that some unknown bigger force, as the detective would like to put it, is in Japan and very likely in the vicinity of Ouran Academy. Is this organisation's only objective the thief? Or is there something big that these people are here for?

Like, his secret project...

Every single time Kyoya's thoughts wanders paranoidly towards that direction, he can't help but be reminded of his strict father. His strict father with his strict expectations. And his subconsciousness would conjure all sorts of what-ifs, stirring all the pent up emotion. Meritless psychology—a weakness—as the concept has been drilled into his head since his early age.

"As long as he gives his best at what he cares for, I'm good."

Your voice suddenly rings in that serene but disorderly void. It is as if the spring wind whispers your naivete to him in your absence... to comfort him.

Truth be told, Kyoya can read you like a book. He can see through your poker face and the indifference you often wear like a mask. Speaking of poker face, you are not even that good at it yourself. He sees all the twitches and spasms in your facial muscles whenever someone from the Host Club makes a remark. Not to mention the numerous retorts you often throw at him in particular. Probably out of commoner's irritation, as sometimes noted from Haruhi. He also notices the judging look you subject onto him whenever he is not looking.