Yo

I know Ming was stunned. I could tell by the way his mouth opened and closed in shock but no noise or words came out.

Dinner was a quiet affair. After dinner, we walked out and saw an ice cream place. Ming looked at me. It had always been our routine to get ice cream when we had a difficult conversation and I think one was due.

I nodded. We went in, got our ice cream and sat down.

"Yo.."

"I'm fine now. When it happened, I obviously wasn't. But I have learnt to make peace because Tak to me is most important and to him, he wants both sets of parents so I will make it happen."

Ming fell silent, looking at me. Our ice cream was just sitting, melting away slowly. I looked at Ming, taking a deep breath.

"Pha & I got married in my last year of university and when he was already working. I always wanted kids and Pha, he wanted me to be happy. My sister offered to be our surrogate and carried Tak for us. Juggling final year of university, finding that college I wanted to go to for make up classes, managing the home, kept me very very busy. But I needed to make sure my sister was well taken care of too and Pha offered to check in on her. I guess he took care of her too well. She fell for him, he fell for her likewise. But I didn't know of anything till Tak was about 2 years when I discovered their affair. I guess they both had no intention of telling me anything. Pha and I ended things, he moved in with my sister and has been with her for 4 years now, married to her. Tak knows that Pha is his dad so he spends the weekends with Pha and her whilst I have him for the week. They gave me care and control so I make the decisions for Tak. The only thing I ask is that the nanny must be with Tak no matter what."

There was absolute silence all the way. I looked at Ming who was absolutely mortified and stricken by what he had heard. Could I blame him? I didn't think such things were possible or of all people, Pha would be the one to break my heart so horribly.

Just then, my phone rang. I answered it only to hear from Pha that Tak had an allergic reaction to calamari and has been rushed to the hospital. I grabbed my things and flew out. Ming followed me closely in his own car. We both got to  the hospital and I ran to the A&E.

Tak has never been allergic to seafood so this has taken all of us aback. But thankfully Pha had acted quickly and rushed him. The doctor said Tak was out of danger for now and needed to come back for an allergy test.

Tak was being incredibly brave but when he saw me, he burst into tears and  clung onto me! I just hugged him tightly. Pha took in the scene quietly and told me to just take Tak for the weekend. He didn't want to separate Tak from me as it would make him feel worse and if I happen to be the parent he needed more, Pha would step aside.

"What do you want Tak? Go home with Daddy or Papa?"

"You please. "

I nodded. I carried Tak whilst the nanny got Tak's things. My sister didn't come and I was thankful for it. It was awkward enough having to interact with Pha, what more her? I made it out of the hospital carrying Tak when I realized Ming was still waiting there quietly.

"Ming..."

Tak lifted his teary face up and saw Ming. He stretched his hands out to Ming who just quickly walked over and took Tak. Tak wailed in his arms about being scared and Ming just comforted him quietly. I was stunned. These 2 only spent time together like 2 or 3 times and I never seen Tak be so taken and attached to someone. I looked at Ming who just held onto Tak and shook his head at me.

I nodded and got him in my car with Tak whilst my nanny drove Ming's car back to my place. We got out, Tak fast asleep in Ming's arms and Ming carried him to the house. Ming got him into bed and he stayed there for a while whilst I sorted my nanny and she went off for the night.

Ming came out to see me making tea.

"He's asleep?"

"Fast asleep. What happened?"

I narrated everything that had happened and Ming sighed. I offered him tea and he waved it away.

"I guess I get going then. Will you be ok alone?"

I looked at Ming. I desperately wanted to say no but just nodded my head and I saw him out. But before he got into his car, he turned to look at me a final time and the smile he threw me was so different.

It was just comforting.