Yo

I knew Ming must have been stunned by my reply. To be honest, I been through so much since university ended, that I have had to fend for myself.

And Ming of all people ditched me because of over Pha. I expected more from my best friend but it caused such an ache in my heart, I could never find myself wanting to be close to anyone again. I only lived for Tak and no one else.

I carried Tak in, got him settled into bed and then came out to take my things from the car boot. I saw Ming standing near my car.

"Er, yes?"

"I'm sorry. I realized my wallet slipped out. It must be on the floor in the passenger seat. Can I get it?"

"Oh okays. Hang on. Let me retrieve it for you."

Ming nodded and waited as I took it out.

"Are you working tomorrow?"

I cocked my head at him, confused by his question. Did he think me giving him 1 ride equalled to him wanting to be friends again?

"My car is still at work. If you are working, I thought I could hitch a ride from you if its ok?"

I sighed. Okays. Right. I nodded.

"I'm working tomorrow. Only have to be in at 10am. I'm dropping Tak off at his friend's for a play date then I will go into work. Can you wait for me to come back here to pick you up?"

"I can just join you guys from the start. So you don't have to travel up and down?"

I looked at Ming, pursuing my lips as usual when I am contemplating something. I eventually nodded as it made sense.

"Let me pay for petrol too."

I didn't say anything and just nodded my head. He went off, bidding me goodbye. I watched as he walked off, a bittersweet feeling engulfing me.

The next day, Ming stood outside my house with 2 frapps, a hot chocolate and some crossiants. I didn't say anything but those are my favourites. He clearly got the hot choc for Tak and I was thankful to see that he thought of him too.

He smiled at us when he saw us. I just nodded at him but Tak bounded cheerfully up to him and both boys became fast friends. Ming asked if he could join Tak at the back for a bit so they could chat and I agreed. It was a noisy ride down as both Ming and Tak chatted nonstop, created jokes and laughed. I was personally taken that Tak was having so much fun and I couldn't help but laugh at Ming's corny jokes. Some things just didn't change. Once we dropped Tak off, I promised to pick him up by 5pm and he went off. I watched him go in whilst Ming came to the front passenger seat.

Our ride to work was starkly different as it was quiet. I switched on some music but didn't make any conversation with Ming. Ming didn't say anything until the last bit when he asked me on what time I ended work.

"5pm. I gotta pick up Tak."

"But I thought I had that photoshoot at 5.30pm? You are going to pick Tak up and then come back?"

"Shit! I forgot about the photoshoot. Damn and my nanny is on leave today too. Ah I'm screwed."

Ming kept quiet. Suddenly he volunteered, "I got a break between 3.30-4.30pm. How about I just go pick up Tak for you? I know you got another client to work on but I can pick him up. I know the place. Just let his friend's mom know. I'm sure if you explained to Tak, he will understand."

I kept quiet. I didn't feel comfortable letting Ming pick him up though I know it will be ok. I mulled over my options, landing on none. I finally pulled into the carpark.

Ming looked at me pondering and just muttered, "I will be super safe. I can share my live location with you if it makes you feel better."

I looked at Ming. I know we haven't spoken or interacted in years but Ming has always been my go to person who has never failed me especially when it comes to important people and he knows how important Tak is to me.

I decided to take a chance and nodded my head at him, signifying my acceptance but got his promise that he will be safe and be back quickly. He nodded and I called Tak on the spot to let him know about the change of plans.

That stupid son of mine was completely OK with it, completely betraying his father in the process over the newfound person.