Chapter 4: Early and Mid 1987

(It was Monday morning in the Hanson household and the family were just doing their normal everyday things Walker was off at work, Isaac was doing school, Zac was watching TV, and Diana and Taylor were working with the occupational therapist) Things seems like they are getting easier to manage. (Diana said helping Taylor with the shape sorter giving him the pieces) That's great to hear he's definitely improved a lot more than he's regressed, as for Zac I have a bit of concern not much but just a bit. (the therapist looked over at Zac who was jumping around on the couch while watching the cartoons) Oh really? Yea It's not autism related but I definitely feel like there's something we're missing. What are you thinking?? (Diana asked looking over at Zac who had tired himself out from all the jumping) I was thinking something maybe like ADHD or ADD, It's hard to diagnose so early on cause most toddlers are hyper but there's some things in Zac that I don't notice in most toddlers and I haven't noticed in Taylor. Obviously Zac has started speaking and has hit milestones on time so it's sort of helps rule out autism but ADHD is still a thought. (The therapist explained to Diana as Taylor finished the shape sorter and started putting it away) Oh I see, yea I guess I can see ADHD I just haven't really looked into it cause his pediatrician said he was doing really well for his age. Therapist: I definitely understand that sometimes it can often be missed and things can seem to not show as much in young children but starts to become more noticeable as a child gets older. (The therapist said pulling out the next activity which was a wooden puzzle and handed it to Taylor before calling Zac over and giving him one too) What are we doing? I am going to test something I gave them each a wooden puzzle they both take the same amount of time to complete so I am going to see how each of them put the puzzle together might be a little crazy to test a 4 year old against a 1 1/2 year old but it should tell us something. (The therapist explained watching as both boys started doing the puzzles, Zac was rushing it a bit more grabbing random pieces and sliding it over every hole until the piece fit perfectly in and continued to look up at his mom and the therapist meanwhile Taylor was tracing the holes with his finger then attempting to find the piece that felt like the same shape and placed them in, both boys finished within mere seconds of each other and had placed their puzzles on the floor) That was quite interesting I have to say. (Diana said smiling as she was shocked at how her kids differentiated in how they solved puzzles) It is it seems like Zac seems to do what most do which is try to rush it by placing a piece over every hole until it fit meanwhile Taylor used tracing each hole to figure out where each piece goes quite crazy that's for sure.

: August 7th 1987:

(It was early afternoon in the Hanson household and Taylor was munching on some popcorn while watching his little brother ride cars around the coffee table. Isaac was in the kitchen with Diana doing schoolwork) Vroom!! (Zac said as he pushed his car and it flew off the table onto the floor) Vroom!!! (Taylor said smiling and giggling as he echoed his little brother causing Zac to smile at his brother) You vroom too? (Zac asked looking at Taylor who was munching on more popcorn and holding out a little red car to him. Taylor smiled a bit and hesitated then took the car from Zac and climbed down to the opposite side of the table and started moving the car around on the table.) You be cop ok and person. (Zac said handing Taylor a cop car as well as there was a knock on the door signaling that Tay's speech therapist was here and Diana came walking out to open the door) Hi so nice to see you!!! (Diana exclaimed smiling at the therapist as she let her in) It is a pleasure to see you too, I am very happy to be here! (The therapist smiled back and they turned to the table to see Zac and Taylor playing with cars and repeating vroom over and over again) Well I see Taylor's ability to play with others has improved. It certainly has!!! (Diana replied back before leaving the therapist with the two younger boys and headed back to the dining room and the therapist went and sat beside Zac who was now looking at her) Well hello there guys. Hi!!! (Zac replied and Tay just continued rolling his two cars along the table oblivious to the therapist) Hi Taylor! (The therapist said awaiting to see if he was gonna answer back or recognize she was there, Taylor looked up and smiled at her before going back to the cars) I think that'll do haha. So should we do some speech Taylor? (The therapist asked laughing and looking back at Taylor who had climbed up on the couch behind her with the red car still in his hand but handed the police car back to Zac who took it happily and left the room with his cars) Vroom!! (Tay said happily shaking the car in his hand causing the therapist to smile) Yea cars go vroom, very good!!! (She said sitting next to Taylor who had slumped down into the cushion of the couch and continued shaking the car in his left hand while tapping his fingers on his knee with his right hand) You seem very excited about the car, why do you like it? (she asked but Taylor just kept shaking the car as he stood up and climbed up on the back of the couch and started crawling around the top) No let's get down from there before we get hurt. (the therapist said but Taylor just continued crawling along before jumping onto the recliner chair laughing) Alright bud settle down please. (the therapist said picking Taylor up and setting him back on the couch cushion causing Taylor to get upset and crawl back over to the edge and jump back on the chair) Oh dear!! I suppose you can sit there if you want. (She got up and moved her stuff down to the edge of the couch before realizing Taylor had climbed off the chair and was running in circles behind the couch, still shaking the little red car) Taylor we need to sit down now and do speech (Taylor just giggled and stopped running for a brief moment when the therapist went and grabbed him setting him back on the chair before sitting down herself causing Taylor to get really frustrated and throw the red car at a framed picture knocking it down and breaking it. The rest of the family ran out to see the therapist sitting on the edge of the cushion near Taylor and Tay curled in a ball and crying/screaming and rubbing his feet together) What happened to the picture and Taylor? (Isaac asked going over and carefully picking up the glass and photo putting them in the small garbage can as Diana went over to Taylor and sat on the chair rubbing his back causing Taylor to shift over into his mom's lap and hug her) He's having an autism meltdown it's a autistic person's reaction to challenging sensory experiences like too much sensory input. (The therapist explained to Isaac, Zac and Diana as Taylor slowly stopped screaming and crying and climbed into his mom's lap hugging her as she continued to rub his back and Zac held the red car back out to his brother who smiled a tiny bit before taking the car) Is he gonna be ok? (Isaac asked sitting down on the couch with Zac) He'll be just fine.