Chapter 30: Alone

Chapter 30: Alone

Practices begin soon after. The first one is... interesting.

Let's go through what I'm working with here.

So, obviously, we have Rae, the keeper who may or may not have been the only reason I am now a member of the Ballycastle Bats.

And then, there's me, the newest chaser on the team.

There's Jim and there's West, and they're the other two chasers. Both nice; both enthusiastic about my joining the team.

The beaters, Monty and Jose, are both quiet but nice enough, with arms bigger than my head. Makes sense, I guess, seeing how they are constantly hitting the dense bludgers around the pitch.

And then, there's the seeker, Anthony. He's my favorite of the bunch so far. He's the perfect combination of kindness, but he's not overbearing. He's not Rae-level intimidating, and he's not meek like Jim, and he's not built like a semi-truck like the beaters.

So, I like him.

The first practice is nerve-wracking. Anthony and I are the only new recruits so far. The others have been playing together for a couple of years now, with West being there the longest, followed shortly after by Rae.

Of course, I didn't do my research before I got there, so I have no idea that there is a new seeker until Anthony picks me out of the group and pulls me aside, one nicely-tanned arm stretching before him and a dimply smile on his face.

"Hi," he says.

"Hey," I respond.

"I'm Anthony," he says when I take his hand.

"Y/N."

"I know," he says. Then, he quickly adds, "I've been following the news about the recruitments, and you're the only woman here who isn't Rae Ahktar."

"Oh. Nice to meet you." I pull my hand away from his as a blush creeps over his cheeks.

"I don't mean to sound creepy," he says. "I'm just a bit awkward at times. Especially when I'm nervous. Like now."

"No," I tell him quickly. "No, I don't think you're creepy."

"Thank God," he breathes, his shoulders loosening. "I need at least one friend here, and I'm sorry, but I don't want them to be able to crush my trachea with a pinky finger and a thumb." He gestures toward the beaters with his chin.

I giggle quietly and meet his eyes. They're a startling green, contrasting with his warm brown skin. His dark hair and deep skin tone made me expect brown, but green works for him.

"I actually met a pretty famous Quidditch star not too long back," I tell him, cheeks warming as I think of Viktor. "And I'm pretty sure he thought I was a complete stalker."

"Viktor Krum?"

I jolt a little at the sound of his name. "Are you sure you're not a stalker?" I ask.

"All right, you got me," Anthony says. "I know who you are. The tournament."

"Oh, right," I say and nod my head slowly.

Stupid old me. I forget I'm famous now.

"Of course, you know, I don't really know much about you," he says. "Just that you were in the tournament and that you won..."

"And that Viktor Krum and I..."

"Yeah," Anthony says and nods with a wry grin. "And that you and Viktor Krum had some steamy, forbidden romance going on there."