Chapter 5: Dragons Are So Scary and Harry Potter is a Try-Hard

We are all gathered in a tent. It's small, and I can't help but to feel claustrophobic inside of it.

Conflict weighs heavy in my mind. I'm glad that I know what I'm about to be facing, but there's a part of me that knows that Harry's information is only fueling my nerves. Since I have no idea what the actual task is, I haven't gotten to plan anything out, so my knowledge of the involvement of dragons is only making me overthink.

I look around as I focus on my breathing. Inhale. Viktor and Fleur are talking to each other quietly. Exhale. Harry is speaking to Hermione, who sneaked into the tent admist the confusion of the day. Inhale. I stand off to the side, trying to calm myself by fiddling with my fingers. Exhale. I meet Viktor's eyes across the tent. My breathing exercise goes to shit.

"Champions!" I jump and tear my eyes away from Viktor.

I follow the other champions to huddle around Barty Crouch and Ludo Bagman. I listen as they attempt to explain the task.

Apparently, we're to attempt to take a golden egg from a dragon, the breed of which will be different for each of us. It doesn't seem like the most difficult task ever. I mean, it can't any worse than trying to sneak something from the kitchen while my dad is on watch, right?

I swallow thickly and look around at the champions. Harry Potter's gone rather pale, but Fleur's face has become a mask of severity. Viktor stares at the ground in contemplation. I keep my eyes on Barty Crouch, focusing on the wrinkles that line his eyes to steady myself. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale-

Ludo Bagman holds a small canvas sack out before him and stares at us expectantly.

"Well, come on now. The tournament'll be starting soon," Bagman says rather impatiently and shakes the bag slightly. I look at the other champions, who hesitate.

Inhale. Exhale.

I step forward. I plunge my hand into the bag with my eyes shut tight. I jerk my hand back, eyes snapping open when my fingers touch something... moving?

At Bagman's encouraging nod, I lower my hand back into the bag and close my hand around one of the writhing somethings and pull it out, opening my palm to expose it. Air rushes from my lungs as I see a miniature silvery-blue dragon, which stomps its feet into the flesh of my palm, curling its neck into the air with a small snort. Around its neck, it bears the number '1'. I giggle quietly as it roams along my palm, looking at Bagman with curiosity.

"What does this mean?" I ask him. He leans closer to peer at the dragon before clicking his tongue.

"You got the Swedish Short-snout," he says. "And the number means that you'll be going first. Well, try your best to prepare while the others choose."

I take a deep breath and watch as the dragon flaps its tiny wings, my eyes catching on the number around its neck. The last thing I want is to go first. But maybe it's better to get it over with.

I'm distracted by the tiny dragon as I push it around with an index finger, my lips curling into a smile when it stumbles around. I wonder if I'll be allowed to keep it when Bagman's voice stirs me from my reverie.

"Ah, the Chinese Fireball," Bagman comments as Viktor examines his model dragon. Viktor's mouth presses into a frown and his eyebrows stitch together as he stares at the tiny dragon that roams his large hand. More room for exploration than my dragon has. More room for-

Not the time, Y/N. Pull it together.

"Common Welsch Green," Bagman says as Fleur pulls her dragon from the bag.