Chapter 1: I Receive the Worst Kind of News

The morning is brisk, a cloudy day that serves as a transition from a warm summer to a colorful autumn. As always, the train station bustles with life, full of wizards ready for another year at Hogwarts. I am breathless amidst the crowd, my father by my side as I eagerly scan the crowd in search of my friend, Cedric.

"Do you see Cedric?" I ask, glancing at my dad.

"Hey, at least pretend you still care about your old man," my dad says and grins, holding his arms open for me.

"I do care," I protest and hug him tightly. "I'm just excited."

"I know, sweetie. I'm teasing. Go on, get a compartment. Be safe."

"I will, thank you, dad. Tell Nat I'll miss her."

"Of course," he says and leans to peck my forehead, releasing me with a small smile.

I smile at him and push into the crowd, my trunk behind me. I continue searching for Cedric. He really shouldn't be so hard to find given his height.

I scoff to myself when I don't see him, vouching to leave him behind. He can find me for a change.

As I prepare to board the train, I'm startled by a pair of hands covering my eyes.

"Guess who," Cedric's voice is playful in my ear.

"Don't be a jerk," I laugh and elbow him. "I've been looking for you."

"I've been looking for you," he says in mock exasperation. "Hurry before all the compartments are taken."

Cedric and I board the train through our bickering about who was looking for who, and who was the problem. Of course, it was him. (It's always him!)

"You know, I think we should protest," he says and pushes into one of the compartments, hoisting his trunk into the overhead bin.

"Yeah? What about?" I ask and hand him my trunk when he gestures for it.

"We should get some adults on the train to keep the students in line. I mean, really! Do they think I'm going to break up fights or stop people from throwing things around? I was doing the same thing until I became a prefect," he says and pushes my trunk beside his.

"It seems like the problem is that you're a prefect," I tell him and sit down beside him as he collapses into his seat.

"You are too," he grunts.

"Yes, but I don't complain about my responsibilities."

"What's the point of doing things you don't want to do if you can't complain?"

"Merlin, Ced, you should be a philosopher," I say. "Look at it this way: at least we don't have to go to the prefects' cabin anymore!"

"Your optimism is the only thing that keeps me going, I swear," he says and tilts his head back to rest against the wall of the compartment.

"I'd bet."

"I have more to complain about. My dad heard a rumor that there's no quidditch this year," Cedric says and sits up.

"No quidditch?" I exclaim and turn to face him. "That's ridiculous."

"It's true."

"Why would they do that? We should organize a coup."

"We should. First, get rid of train patrols. Second, reinstate quidditch."

"I'm serious, Ced," I whine and swat at his arm when he tries to lay it across my shoulders. "Why would they get rid of quidditch? I was so close to breaking the record."