Chapter 10: I Find Out About the Gross Things that Live in the Lake

Chapter 7: I Find Out About the Gross Things that Live in the Lake

The lake is thawed for the first time in a couple of months, and I hope that it has been magically warmed as well. I'm shivering on the platform that was built on the lake as the wind whips over the surface of the water, creating choppy waves. The nerves have faded. For months, I've worried about this task but now that I'm waiting by the lake, I'm no longer nervous.

I stare into the dark depths of the water. There's a bit of curiosity that's tugging somewhere in my mind, but the nerves don't return. I don't let them. I think of the new apartment I could help my dad and Nat buy and I take a deep breath, and the nerves are gone. If they're here, I ignore them.

From the corner of my eye, I see Viktor look at me. I meet his eyes and send him a reassuring smile. Because he looks nervous. He's jiggling his hand by his side. I want to grab it and hold it still. I'm too far away. We're separated by Fleur. As always, a fierce look dominates her face. I wonder if she ever gets nervous.

And then Harry Potter. I don't want to look at him. I hope that he figured the egg out after I gave him the hint, but I can't be sure. He looks like he's about to vomit in the lake, which... God, please don't.

I jump when we're instructed to start. The hour has already begun. Viktor dives into the water. I do the same. I have no other choice. While he dove gracefully, I execute a kind of leap where I flap my arms wildly and land in a position dangerously close to a belly-flop. And then the water.

Jesus Christ, the water.

It's enough to shock me and send a surprised stream of bubbles from my lips. I don't have time to remain shocked. I pull my wand and wordlessly cast a bubblehead charm. That's when I open my eyes.

The water is dark and murky, but there's a sort of artificial light that allows me to see even though I know that it's dark. I don't waste time trying to decipher it. As Harry speeds past me (with webbed fingers and toes?), I begin to kick my legs. Deeper and deeper; colder and colder.

A glance behind me reveals Viktor, half transfigured into a shark, and Fleur, who's using the same charm as me. I take a deep breath and swim even deeper, kicking hard behind me. As I swim, it gets darker and colder, and slimy weeds grab at my limbs. It's enough to send shivers down my spine. I hope they're all just weeds, and then... that's definitely not a weed. I whimper a bit and jerk my knees to my chest before swimming harder, eventually finding a small clearing, where Harry is already located.

All four of the 'hostages' are in a line: Ron Weasley, Teodor, Cedric, and Fleur's sister Gabrielle. Surrounding them are small clusters of merpeople, with pulsating gills and sharp teeth bared. I could pass out. Was that what touched me?

Absolutely disgusting.

Now, I have to be honest here. I wasted a little time giggling at Cedric. He looks ridiculous right now, completely unconscious. If he weren't surrounded by water, I just know he would be drooling. I capture the image in my mind. I will be using this against him.

Harry looks at me with wide eyes when I approach before turning back to the hostages and working on Ron's restraints. I pull my wand out and cast a spell to sever the weeds wrapped around Cedric's ankles. Then, I tuck my arm under his and start kicking. The idiot is heavy even underwater, and my ascent is much slower than the trip down, so I have to stun a couple of merpeople that claw at my grip on Ced.

I could cry in relief when I'm high enough that I can spot the sun from underwater. The merpeople didn't follow me up, so it's easy to haul Ced the remainder of the distance. Thankfully, as soon as we break the surface, he gasps for air, his eyes flying open. He looks around in confusion when he comes to to the sound of cheering, but realization soon dawns in his eyes and he hugs me, nearly drowning both of us.