Chapter 12: As Chaucer Once Said, All Good Things Go to Shit

I sigh as I find a sunny spot in the courtyard. Today is the first day where I actively recognized the warmth of the summer; it's one of those days where the sky is impossibly blue, and the sun knows precisely how to shine to make the day perfect. Birds chirp as they dive through the air, playing a half-hearted game of tag, taunting each other with trilling sing-songs.

It's the day before our final task, and after that, all of the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students are to go back to their schools. Then, Hogwarts students finish up final exams and the school year will be over. My time at Hogwarts will be over. It doesn't feel real. And it's a bit horrifying, to be truthful, knowing that I have a few more weeks and then I'm going to be thrown out into the real world. But this is my world. The only one I know.

The one I just learned to love.

I lay back and stare above my head with a small sigh. It's not fun to think about everything coming to an end. Leaving Hogwarts means leaving Cedric. The end of the tournament means Viktor leaves. Who knows what will happen next? He's famous. He'll go on to play for Bulgaria and sign womens' chests after each game. I can't compete with that. I don't want to. I want everything to stay the same.

"I have been looking for you," Viktor says as he approaches me, his figure blocking the warm sunshine that had been spilling onto my skin.

"I thought we were keeping our distance until after the tournament so that Rita Skeeter stops writing that we've been helping each other cheat," I say and shield my eyes from the sun as he steps to the side to sit beside me.

"It does not matter," he says with a shrug. "I have been thinking a lot."

"About what?" I ask.

"About what happens next," he says and looks over at me before returning his gaze to the sky.

"Oh. Yeah. Me too."

"After the tournament ends, what are we doing?"

"I think that depends on you," I say slowly, raising my eyes to his. At my words, his eyebrows draw together. He looks... offended?

"No, it does not. Don't say that."

"Well, I don't know."

"What does that mean?"

"Just—you know," I say and shrug, feeling dangerously close to tears. This is agonizing, standing on this precipice. I don't know which way I'm going to fall. Only one way has Viktor there to catch me.

"I don't know," he says.

"You're the quidditch star," I say and start ripping clumps of grass out of the ground. I will punish the earth for being so large. For the amount of space it's about to put between us.

"That means nothing," he says. His voice is so stern, it almost sounds like he's scolding me, which isn't helping with the whole holding-back-the-tears thing I've got going on.

I shrug again and stare at my hand, ripping bigger clumps of grass. He sighs and catches my hand.

"Nothing will change on my side," he says.

"You don't know that. What if you meet a hottie after one of your games, and she has, like, the biggest—"

"Nothing will change," he interrupts me. "Will they for you?"

"No."

"Then it is settled."

"Is it?" I ask. Because it certainly doesn't feel like it. He's still going to be thousands of miles away, and he's still going to be a quidditch star. No time for me or anyone.