Chapter 6: I Discover the Lovely Blue Tiling in the Bathroom

Where I go comes the egg.

It's late in the afternoon. Classes are ending soon for all students. I'm sitting in the courtyard, hoping that I'll suddenly have an epiphany and figure the egg out. I've had enough sense to stop opening it after a few painful experiences, but nothing is making any sense. At first, I thought that the scream might have had something to do with a mandrake but I wasn't sure how much of a challenge that would be in any form. Hufflepuff versus earplugs.

I trace my fingers along the seam that runs from the top to the bottom of the egg. Maybe it's a deadly chicken. Or a duck. Or a different bird.

Or a platypus.

The thought has me grinning to myself as I immediately dismiss every single thought. Idiotic. But I have no idea what the egg could be. Maybe it's completely unrelated. Is that possible?

"Have you figured that thing out yet?" Moody asks as he halts in front of me, setting his hands on his hips. His frame blocks out the sunlight of the day, trapping me in his shadow.

"No, not yet," I say. "I can't make any sense of the thing."

"Have you tried putting it in water?" Moody asks suddenly, blinking his good eye.

"What?" I ask, shifting on my knees.

"Putting it in water. Have you tried that?" he repeats, staring down at me intently. I start to get a little uncomfortable under his gaze, trying not to stare at the eye that sweeps around wildly. I flinch when it lands on me for a moment, startling me out of my own mind.

"No, I haven't... Uh, should I?" I trail off.

"Well, I'm not telling you you should, given that would imply that I have favorites," he says with a smile that doesn't look quite right. His magical eye catches on me for a moment and I look away from him pointedly. "Take a bath with it, little lady, and I'm sure you'll get something out of it."

"Well, uh, thanks then," I say. "I'll try that out."

"Good girl," he says with a grin, stalking away.

I stand up and slip away quickly in case he decides to return. I rush through the hallway, feeling a little disturbed, egg cradled in my arms like a newborn. My firstborn child. I wish I had the foresight to bargain it away.

"Wait, Y/N!"

"Viktor, hey," I greet, a little out of breath as he catches up with me. "I actually have something to tell you. Uh, you know Moody?"

"The one with the eye?" he asked and gestures toward his face.

"Yeah, him. He told me to put the egg in water," I say as I try to hide how out of breath I am, but little pants punctuate each sentence. "I don't know if it's going to work yet but he says that it will."

Viktor furrows his eyebrows. "In water? Like the lake?"

"Yeah. Well, no... We've got a huge bathtub in the prefects' bathroom... It's safer than the lake in wintertime. Later, if you want, I can give you access to use it. I can give you directions and the password, and then-"

"Why not figure it out together?" he asks.

"Hm?"

"We can go together."

"Together?"

"Yes, I figure we will have more luck figuring it out of we work together, no?"

"Oh... uh, yeah. That sounds good. Um... we can meet up after dinner if that's okay. And then we can go from there?"