Chapter 3: I Converse With a Small Child and Think Like a Heathen

November brings with it anticipation; the leg-bouncing, counting-down-the-days type. All of the champions had their wands taken to be tested, which left me feeling slightly uneasy. We knew the date of the first task, but what it entailed was to remain unknown until we were faced with it.

That's what's bothering me. Knowing that there is something, but having no details. Every year that the tournament was held historically, the tasks varied. I assumed that it wouldn't be too bad, seeing as we were still children. But my knowledge of all the dangerous tasks that had occurred in the past lurked in my memory. Magical creatures that were faced, dangerous settings, tasks where certain types of magic were prohibited.

It's enough to make anyone nervous.

Not to mention that my competition is cutthroat.

Viktor Krum radiates dangerous energy. Obviously, he's formidable in the sky, but I don't even dare to venture that he will be any less competitive on the ground. Even the way he carries himself suggests that he knows that he is going to win this competition. He isn't a man used to losing.

And Fleur... Fleur is all too easy to dismiss as the lesser of the two foreign competitors, but her charm is a deadly weapon that she has honed to be precise. The way she enamors the people around her is just a ploy to cover her obvious skill as a witch and her cunning. Underestimating her would be a mistake.

And then, of course, there's Harry. He has a way of getting himself out of sticky situations, no matter how inexperienced he seems in his three years of inferiority.

"You know, killer, you have the advantage here," Cedric says to me, one arm wrapped around Cho's shoulder as we weave through the crowd in the hallway. She nods along eagerly, although he hasn't said much of anything.

"Yeah? How so?"

"Oh, there's a ton of reasons."

"Humor me."

"Well, you have the home-ground advantage," he says.

"So does Harry."

"Yeah, well." He drops his voice to a whisper. "Harry's still a baby."

"I'm sorry, have you never met him before?" I ask and shoot him an incredulous look. "That means nothing. He was literally a baby when he... you know!"

"Well, regardless, you have that advantage over the other two. Plus, Fleur doesn't seem too adept in magic. She's definitely the weakest."

"I don't think so."

"Doesn't matter what you think. I know."

"And what about Viktor?"

"I think that if you play your cards right," Cedric says, lowering his voice again, "you could get him to do anything you asked him, Y/N."

"What are you talking about?"

Cedric and Cho swap a knowing look, and the latter giggles.

"Y/N," Cho says and meets my eyes, "you have to have noticed."

"Noticed what?" I ask, genuine confusion spreading over my features.

"The way he watches you," she says and gestures to my right with her head. I follow her gaze and find Viktor in a group of Durmstrang students, his eyes on me. He holds my gaze. I look away.

"Okay. So, what? He's sizing me up."

"Yeah, sure," Cedric says and rolls his eyes. "See, Cho, I told you she's oblivious."