𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧. 𝙖 𝙛𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙡𝙮 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣

𝑵𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒚𝒂𝒎'𝒔 𝒑𝒐𝒗

My baby brother & sisters rushed to all corners of our hut to pack the necessities for our trip, bickering & slapping each other's hand over who gets the bigger cloth for when they ride their ikran. While my dad left to inform Norm & the other elders of our family decision to leave the forest for a few days.

My mother on the other hand, would usually break them apart & give them a quick scolding. But she was awfully quiet, like she just simply shut out the noise to not bring attention to herself. But isn't that not suspicious to anyone?

"Mother whats wrong? you haven't looked at me since dad told us to pack, is there something you know that you're not telling me?" i asked my mother.

"Now is not the time son, we need to be done before your father comes back" she said turning away.

"Mom please! im- we're all tired! please just talk to me at least. Tell me what is on your mind!" i pleaded with her as i sat down rubbing my forehead.

My siblings stopped & had no idea what was going on between me & my mother, but i would have too if i didn't caught my mom avoiding my eyes every now & then. It was making me frustrated.

"I-im sorry for yelling at you mother, its been a tough few days searching nonstop & being.. without her" i said.

"Neteyam my dear son.. alright, come with me. We are going to pick berries for the trip" my mother sighed deeply.

My mother walked into the other side of the forest with an empty sack, one for me & one for her. I trailed behind her as she looked back & around to check if anyone was following us. She then knelt down infront of a berry bush & spoke,

"My son, when a girl is far away from her mate & her heat has reached its peaked, her pheromones will attract any male in the distance if she is not locked away safely in a hut" she said.

"W-what are you trying to say mother?" i asked with furrowed brows.

She pursed her lips & tears welled up in her eyes before she spoke again, plucking the berries & throwing them into the sack.

"That m-means, if any male in the area were to find her exposed.. they are both not in control when they-"

"Mom stop. No" i faced down & shook my head.

"Son listen to m-"

"She is not like that & she will never do that mom! please don't say awful things like that, those are just.. rumours that the elders would say" i said, clenching my jaw as now it was me who avoided her eyes.

My mother reached for my chin, gently pulling me to face her, "You know the cycle very well Neteyam, we've talked about it with your father after you completed your Iknimaya (rite of passage). There are some things we cant change" she said.

"It wont happen mother. I will get to her before anything happens & kill anyone who dares to touch her-" i said with a low growl.

My mother stayed silent as i spoke, looking straight into my burning eyes with a colourless expression on her face as if she already saw the future.