𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣. 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙛𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨

After the strenuous morning, Tonowari sat with me by the edge of the pod walkway for lunch. Listening to my adventures with the Sullys & how i was appointed mentor back at Omatikaya right before i found myself lost at sea.

He laughed & teared up a little over how my guardian Norm & Mr Sully saw me as their daughter, wishing that his children would see him as more than someone they could open up to rather than the strict Olo'eyktan.

"Your story is wonderful but tragic Violet Pierce, i am glad that you made it safely here without being attacked by any of the outcast creatures" he said, biting onto his fried fish on a stick.

"I have to thank Eywa for that sir" i said.

The people curiously walked by us, carrying on their duties but surprised to see their Olo'eyktan smiling & laughing with the newcomer on a sunny afternoon.

"May i ask you something Violet?" Tonowari asked as his eyes landed on a couple sitting by a tree. Here we go. I nodded my head knowing what was about to be asked, pretending to look the other way & praying its not what i think it is.

"I hope this is not inappropriate to ask, but do you have a mate back at the forest?" he turned to face me with a charming smile.

"A fearsome human girl who took risks & became a fearsome warrior! surviving the sea's wrath on the way here too? not everyone has that kind of strength in them. You seem fit for my son Aonung, what do you think?" he added.

I lowered my fried fish onto my lap & looked up to face the hopeful clan leader. Sensing that after i answer him, he'll probably banish me from the clan.

"Aonung is a delightful man sir, but i will have to disappoint you & tell you that i have a mate. Toruk Makto's oldest son, Neteyam" i said, tightening my grip onto the stick.

But Tonowari smiled, giving me pats on the shoulder like a proud father.

"Ah! thats okay child! don't worry about disappointing anyone! i only asked because i saw the 2 of you sitting alone earlier by the rocks. My son only ever hangs out with his boys & never with a girl!" he laughed out.

Wait what?! ..that meant he saw Aonung moving in to kiss me & then bailed.

I nervously laughed along, thinking of ways to change this conversation into something else before he starts acknowledging his son's attempt to make a move on me.

"Well then- you mentioned that you were appointed the role of a mentor; while learning our customs & traditions, how would you like to train the young ones here?" he asked, offering me a role in leadership.

My eyes lit up to his proposal. Finally, i'll be useful here! but-

What about returning to the forest? I would love to be a mentor here too, discover new plants & animal species to add onto the research that Norm saved in honour of Dr Grace, but i also want to get home to Neteyam & my family.

I lifted my chin up once again meet his zestful eyes, "it would be an honour sir" i accepted, as painful as my reality now paints out to be.

"Great! you can start whenever you're ready!" he said blissfully, finishing his food.

From a distance, there comes Aonung walking toward us with a bothered look on his face. Tonowari gave me a side eye, playfully nudging on my elbow & raising his brows like a cheeky teenager because we just spoke about his son.

"Father, Violet.." his disconcerted son greeted.

"Father, the fishermen by the shores were wondering if they could move the captured fishes down to the fire pit for the tattoo ceremony tonight?" he informed his father.