And Much More

My fingers glaze over the tall black fence, the cool condensation making my body shiver. Sighing, I push open the gate and make my way up the cobblestone path to the front door, my footsteps echoing softly against the stone. As I approach, I'm struck by the way the sunlight filters through the branches of the trees, casting dappled shadows on the ground. The soft chirping of birds fills the air, and I pause for a moment to take it all in. But as I reach for the doorknob, my thoughts return to the Commission and the exchange with Hazel and Cha Cha.

The Commission handbook always advised against developing friendships with any coworkers, for the sole purpose of the conflict of interest. Despite that recommendation, the majority of agents inevitably establish friendships with those in corresponding departments. I've always made it a point to never become completely close with other agents. Still, I considered Hazel and Cha Cha friends of mine. People I could look up to.

Yet this mission proves to be "the conflict of interest." I never trusted them in the first place, obviously. I met evil when I was only a child– individuals who prove that trust is a delicate glass sculpture; shattered once, and forever etched into memory, leaving you protecting yourself from the sharp edges of duplicity. First, it hurts. Then it changes you. I learned to never place any trust in another person.

Hence, I never had any deep connection with Hazel and Cha Cha that would entice any potentially significant betrayal. Nonetheless, the idea that they turned their backs on me without a second thought still stings like a bitch. How they're so easily willing to put my career on the line.

If that's the case, then I have every good reason to do the same. An eye for an eye, if you must. You wanna find Klaus? Your precious briefcase?  Then you have to beat me to it.

I knock on the front door. After a few moments, Luther opens the door and I greet him with a smile. "Hi, is Klaus here?"

"I think he just left with Diego, why?"

Thank God. This means that he's back from the other timeline. "Do you know where he went?"

"No. And why are you ask–"

"--Do you know if anyone else knows where he might have gone?" I ask.

"Uh... Five might."

"Five? Okay, where is he?"

"Upstairs. C'mon."

I follow him into the mansion, and as I veer closer to the foyer, my jaw drops. "What the hell happened here?"

"Where?"

I give a pointed look at what I'd think to be the elephant in the room.

"Oh, the chandelier fell on me," Luther says simply.

I don't think I'll ever get past how much shit happens to this family and they think it's a normal everyday occurrence. Like, the chandelier falling on me? Yeah, typical Wednesday afternoon!

I guess I'm not one to talk, though. I'm a 16-year-old time-traveling assassin working for a secret organization only known by a select few.

Luther leads me down the upstairs hallway and opens a familiar wooden door. My eyes roam the room until they land on Five, whose back is turned to us as he rummages through his desk. It suddenly registers that this is the same room I was in when exploring the house.

"What do you want, Luther?" He turns around and our eyes lock. "What is she doing here?"

"Uh–"

"--Do you know where Diego and Klaus went?" I cut straight to the chase.

Five furrows his brows. "What? Why?"

"I just need to know. Where did they go?"

The door closes behind me and I hear Luther's heavy footsteps trudge down the hall.

"How am I supposed to know or care?"

"It was worth a shot," I say.

"Okay, now get out."

"Why do you have chalk?" I throw myself onto the bed, falling into a comfortable sprawl.

Five glances at me and shakes his head, slipping off his shoes. He stands on the bed and kicks me.

"Ow!" I yelp. "What the fuck?"

"You're in my way. Scooch over," he says.

I oblige and roll over to the end of the bed. "Is this your room?"

"Yes, it is."

"Interesting." My eyes close and I click my tongue in thought. "Do you make watches in your free time?" I ask, recalling the last time I was here when I saw the basket of broken watches on his nightstand.

"That's a random question."

"I'm just curious. I noticed your broken watches before... so I thought I'd ask, you know?"

He hesitates before answering. "Well... I used to. Not anymore."

"Why not anymore?"

The room fills with a heavy silence. I open my eyes and look up at him expectantly. He stares at the wall in front of him with a far-off look, pressing his lips together. I wonder if I've overstepped, but I can't help but ask again. "Five? Why not anymore?"

He suddenly clenches his jaw, clearly annoyed. "Shut up for once in your life, would you? I can't concentrate with you constantly nagging me."

I roll my eyes, letting out a frustrated sigh. "I was going to give you a nasty look, but I see that you've already got one," I mutter.

He peers down at me, his eyes narrowing. "What was that?" he demands.

"I just said that you have a nasty face," I reply, trying to keep my tone even.

Five gives me a bemused smile. "Oh yeah? That's what you think?"

I grit my teeth, feeling my cheeks flush with anger. "Yup," I say, popping my lips.

"Your ass must be pretty jealous of all the shit that comes out of your mouth," he retorts, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips.

Despite myself, I can't help but laugh at his remark. "Never heard that one before," I admit. "I'll give you a point for creativity."

He goes back to writing numbers on the wall, and I watch him for a moment, taking in his intense focus and the way his hand moves with precision. "I guess you could say I'm a pretty creative person," he says, breaking the silence. "And much more."

"Much more?" I repeat, feeling a flutter in my stomach. Is he trying to flirt? My cheeks grow hot at the thought. Good God. Am I seriously blushing right now?

"Of course," he says, grinning at me. "I'm a genius. I make clocks. I like coffee and peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches. I'm amazing at math. I like to read. Did I say I'm a genius?"

I shake my head, unable to suppress a smile. "Okay, okay. You've mentioned everything but the arrogant part."

"I wasn't finished," he says, his tone playful. "I was getting to that, actually."

I roll my eyes, but I can't help feeling a twinge of amusement. This guy is something else.