Ch. 9: Camila's News

Later that night, Luz was wearing a black suit. It was high end, and since she had the money, she was going to use it. She waited for the portal to open. Amity grabbed her hand.

"Everything will be fine." She said.

Amity was wearing a dress made out of Abominations that went all the way to the floor, something she only broke out for special occasions. Last time she wore it, it was the night Luz proposed.

"I know but I can't help but still worry." Luz said as she kissed her wife, helping her calm down more.

"Hey, could be worse." Boscha said, taking Luz's other hand, "You could be having three pairs of legs using your bladder as a punching bag."

Boscha was wearing a yellow dress that went to the floor. It was the only fancy outfit she wore that was comfortable on her expanding stomach. Tension rose as the portal opened.

Luz gulped a bit as she tighter her grip on her wives' hands.

'Deep breaths, deep breathes.' Luz thought.

Before she knew it, Camila was standing in the Manor.

"Hi... mom." Luz said, "It's... it's been awhile."

"Hello, Mija." Camila said to her daughter.

Amity and Boscha just looked between them. It was so tense that you could cut it with a knife.

"So... Miss Noceda." Boscha began, "How's... Vee?"

"She's... good." Camila said, "She's... getting married to a person named Masha, you remember Them right, Luz? They were a bit of a goth, played with cards."

"Yeah.....I remember Them. We hung out a few times but it sounds like Vee hit it off with Them than I could." Luz said nervously. "When's the wedding?"

"A couple of months." Camila said before clearing her throat a bit, equally as nervous.

"Well, why don't we head to the dining room?" Amity suggested, "Luz worked hard on it."

They headed to the Dining Room, where Camila couldn't wrap her head around the long table that could fit thirty. Even after all these years, she couldn't believe Luz managed to find two beautiful and rich girls to fall in love with. They all sat down and the servants brought out the food. Luz lifted her apple blood with a shaky hand. It took Amity grabbing her hand for her not to drop the wine glass. Luz took a sip of it, definitely needing something stronger than this to make it through the night. Camila noticed that Amity and Luz were drinking, but Boscha had water, and Camila remembers their wedding, Boscha drank at least two whole bottles of liquor.

"So, Boscha was it?" Camila asked, "I noticed you're not drinking."

Boscha's eyes widened. Her mother-in-law was a little too smart.

"W-w-well." Boscha said, "I guess we should just come out with it... I'm pregnant."

Camila let out a small squeak, surprised by this news as she looked towards Luz and Amity for confirmation.

"I'm... I'm going to be an Abuela?" Camila said before standing up, "Luz, could I speak to you in private?"

Luz didn't want to but she had to do it, she had to face this fear if she was going to either fix or cut off her connection with her mother.

"Yes, mama." Luz said with a nod as they got up from the table.

Luz brought her to the bedroom. Luz closed her eyes and waited for the worst.

"Mom, I-"

She was surprised when her mom hugged her. So tightly it felt like she was trying to snap Luz in half but it was oddly warm and comforting as she hugged Camila back.

"I'm sorry, Mija." Camila said, "I know I haven't been very accepting of who you are, but I was so scared when I saw you covered in blood and missing an arm."

"I...I can understand that. I can't imagine how I would feel if a I saw my own daughter like that." Luz said as she found herself slowly crying, feeling a huge weight of worry lifted from her heart.

"I know I have been very distant." Camila said, "Can you ever forgive me?"

Luz smiled.

"Of course." Luz said, "I want nothing more than to have my mother back."

Camila reached into her purse and handed Luz a wrapped gift.

"Wait until I leave to open that." Camila said.

"Okay, Mami." Luz said with a smile.

The two went back to the dining room. Amity and Boscha noticed that Luz looked a lot better.

"So... I take it, everything went well?" Amity asked.

"Yes, yes it did." Luz said with a smile, hiding the gift in her suit jacket.

The family continued on with the night, eating dinner and exchanging stories, mostly about Luz doing something dumb. Eventually, Camila had to go.

"This was a wonderful evening, Mija. Thank you for inviting me." Camila said to Luz as she, Amity, and Boscha saw her off.

"And thank you, Boscha and Amity." Camila said, "For giving what Luz never had in the Human Realm."

Camila walked over and gave all of them a kiss on the cheek. She went through the portal. Later, Luz was looking at gift from her mom. She was alone and decided to open it. She ripped the paper off and found a note.

"Since you lost most of your stuff during the... incident, I figured you might want this." Luz read.

Luz removed the note and saw a picture frame. She nearly cried when she saw the picture. It was her and her mom, the same one she thought was lost forever.

'Mamá, muchas gracias.' Luz thought as she hugged the photo to her chest before placing it on her nightstand.

"Hey, Luz; Amity and I are going to get in the pool. Clothing optional, care to join us?" Boscha said, noticing her wife, "Have you been crying?"

Luz smiled at Boscha as she dried her tears.

"Yeah but it's fine. They're happy tears." Luz said to her as she got up from the bed.

"I'll tell you later." Luz said, "Let's go."

Boscha and Luz walked out, Luz looking at the picture on her nightstand one time before smiling and closing the door.