Children Of Sunset 17

"GFD: Children Of Sunset 17"

"I hear one of you boys got a talent for calling names out here. Who was it? Was it you?" Ford said, steely eyed, but with an arrogant smirk on his face. It seemed like everybody in the middle of town got stuck in their positions immediately. The very presence of him could just be felt all through the entirety of the place. From one end of the road, clear down to the other. It was a menace of a feeling. Like that sensation you get when you approach a wild horse that ain't been tamed yet.

"What's going on?" Came a female voice from over my shoulder...and I turned my head to see one of Sarah Cutler's friends standing there behind me. Dangit! What's she doing out here, all up under me?

But before I even had a chance to shoo her away, I noticed Sarah and some of her other friends approaching to join her. And it was much too late for me to try to make a quick escape now. "Hey, Deke..." She said softly...smiling and cuttin' her eyes at me like we been wed since our first steps as babies.

With a sigh that I tried to hide close, I said, "Hi, Ms. Cutler." Taking my hat off and attempting to flash her a smile of my own.

"Ain't no need to be so formal, Mr. Porter." She grinned, but I've got to be honest when I tell you that I felt the pressure of shame and confusion washing itself all over me again the moment she was in my presence. Can't say that I like it much. "I missed you today. I was askin' round about ya..."

"Shhh!" I said abruptly. I wasn't trying to be short on my manners, but I was really curious to see what was going to happen with Ford and some of the other men in the road. Besides...monster or no monster...I think I might have promised that part of my yearning heart to Colby already without even fully knowing about it yet.

Felt a bit awkward...committing myself to the embrace of another boy like me when I know beyond everything that I've ever been taught, and every scripture I ever read, and every example that my dear mama and daddy set by me...that I didn't want nothing else. Colby didn't lead me astray, or simply come sniffing around until I felt to pressured or too tempted to turn him away. He didn't change who I was...he just brought it out of me. And you know what? I took it as a sigh of relief to know that he felt the same about me.

So...as much as it pains me to think it in my head...I don't want Sarah Cutler trying to nail me back up in a box where I don't belong. It ain't that she wasn't nice and sweet and everything a good gal should be to catch somebody's eye...she just wasn't for me. I don't reckon she ever will be. I'd rather have the kiss of my Colby's tender lips over the affections of any lady in town. I s'pose I just got weary from thinking about it so much.

Seems silly to fret over it anymore, my mind being made up and all. I always was a stubborn one when I felt the need to be.

"You ain't no commoner in this here town!" Th man from the saloon said, his pals climbing down from their horses to move over and step behind him. "One of them boys you ridin' with came in that there saloon to cheat me out of my coin. And I ain't the first one today."

Ford's hat brim was so low, I don't know how he was able to see anything much at all. I certainly couldn't see his eyes from where I was standing, and neither could the fella he was fussin' with. Ford told him, "You're mad because he just happens to have a lucky streak going at the tables in there? Is that it?"

"Ain't nobody that lucky."

"I am." Ford told him.

"This ain't got nothing to do with you, boy. You tell your friend back there to quit being a coward and come speak for hisself." He said. "Not only did he cheat at the card game, but he brought the Chinaan in as a goddamn jinx! Maybe you don't know how we do things in these parts, but this won't stand!"