Children Of Sunset 13

"GFD: Children Of Sunset 13"

All four of us took a moment to look out into the black shadows of those woods surrounding us, and I felt my feet sliding back a bit all on their own as that unfamiliar vibe of danger came creeping up over my shoulders. I know a quick pack of coyotes when I see 'em, and they looked mighty hungry as they moved forward just enough for the moon to highlight them for what they really was. Can't say that I was prepared to tussle with anything of that nature tonight. I probably should have brought something defensive with me. But I wasn't quite in my right mind. Being turned all inside out by the idea of kissing Colby's lips once again made me lame in my own mindset.

NOW what am I gonna do? My first time spilling my seed with a boy like that...and now I'm going to be torn to pieces by the likes of a couple of wild dogs? Lord almighty sure has hisself a weird sense of humor, I tell ya.

"Don't move..." Colby said.

"Trust me, I ain't got it in my head that I'd be able to outrun no coyote with an empty belly on foot." I said, stating the obvious. Still, Colby kept his arm outstretched as though he could protect me from what was about to come our way out from around them trees. Can't say that I took much comfort in that.

I saw Tucker and Ahote move in closer to us in order to form some sort of a wall...but as I looked around, it seemed more like it was more about keeping me safe, rather than themselves. Which was kind of them and all, I reckon, but...these were hungry coyotes we're talking about here. I've seen what they can do to people foolish enough to stand in their way when it comes to finding themselves a fresh meal. There was six or seven of them all together in a single pack. Why would a couple of fellas that ain't never laid eyes on me before tonight put themselves between me and that level of harm without thinking twice about it?

"Deke..." Colby said softly, but urgently. "...When I holler for you to go, I need you to run off to the cliff's edge to the left of us. You hear?"

"Colby...I don't know if I can make it all the way to..."

"You'll MAKE it! Just do what I tell ya!" He said.

And before either one of us could utter another word...them coyotes came charging at us all, snarling and barking and salivating from the sharp fangs that there were bringing with them!

"GO!!! Run, Deke! RUN!!!" Colby hollered, but it felt like my legs were too terrified to work right, causing me to stumble almost immediately after I started off.

Falling down in the dirt, I rolled over to look behind me...and I saw something that made me rub my eyes twice and question if my sight was working right in all this darkness out here.

Instead of all of us boys scattering the way that I expected us to, the others seemed to be rushing right at them. And it was then that I noticed something rather awkward going on. Colby's friend, Tucker, began to wave his arms around in a wide circular motion, and it seemed like the wind itself started to pick up all by itself. So much so that I could barely keep my eyes open, even as I felt myself being pulled into the vortex of it as if it was some kind of invisible cyclone or something! All of the sand and dust began to pick up and swirl around him, and I dug my fingers into the sand to keep from being dragged into the center of whatever it was that he was doing...and with a shout, he pushed his hand out to force the sand forward towards the coyotes coming after us!

I couldn't really explain what I was seeing...but the wind and the sand just kept going, and I heard the coyotes howling as they turned away and began howling from the pain of having the grains of sand blasting up against their faces the way it was. In fact, the winds became so strong, that the country sand looked as though it was practically eating the flesh right off of them! They began to bleed, and Tucker kept pushing his hand further out to punish them with a ferocious attack, like I had never seen before.