Children Of Sunset 14

"GFD: Children Of Sunset 14"

"Something different?" I asked. "What am I supposed to take from a statement like that?"

Colby lowered his eyes about as deep into the dirt below as I've ever seen. "Deacon...I ain't quite like you. Or nobody like you. Tucker or Ahote, either. We come off as....different. You understand?"

"Different, like how?" I asked, insulted by the fact the one boy I could never see a flaw in would tell me a lie about who or what he really was from the very beginning.

"Different like...you know...different." He said. "Listen, the reason that you probably ain't never seen me moving around town is because...we can't be out in the sunlight. Not like you can. The dawn comes up over the horizon, and it pushes us into a long sleep. We have to find places to avoid the light to keep from being burned by it. We ain't got no choice, Deke. It's just how we have to live."

I was trying my darnedest to work it all out in my head, but I can't say that I was truly grasping the concept of it all. Was Colby, like...an actual, regular, fella? Or was he some sort of an animal? I couldn't quite tell. And I couldn't quiet my mind enough to let him step any closer to me in that moment. Who is he? What is he? How am I supposed to ever cross his path again without looking at him in an odd manner? This ain't right. Nothing about this feels like it's supposed to feel.

"Deke?" He asked. "Can you please say something? Because the look on your face makes me think that you're still afraid."

Frowning slightly, with a fluttering of nervous jitters in my chest, I spoke up and asked, "Did...did y'all do that bad thing to Ms. Samson from the school house?"

Colby looked away from me. So did his two friends at the side of him. "Deke..."

"You DID do it! Didn't you?" I demanded to know the truth, and his avoiding gaze told me all that I needed to know.

"We didn't target her specifically, ok? We was getting thirsty. She was alone..."

"So y'all jumped on her and made her out to be some sort of sacrifice? Is that what y'all done?" I said, feeling the tears well up in my eyes over having been so easily deceived. "She ain't never done nothing to nobody."

"I know that." Colby said.

"So why did you kill her, then???" I sniffled.

With a deep breath, he replied, "Because we had to, Deacon. We...we need blood to survive. Human blood. There was no other way."

My breath was getting short, a sense of panic creeping all through me as I allowed myself to come to terms with what he was trying to tell me. "You...you kill people...?"

Tucker stepped forward and said, "It ain't no different than when your daddy breaks a chicken's neck toput some meat on your table!"

Colby tried to hush him up. "TUCKER! Let me handle this, will ya?"

"Don't you let this daylight boy make you feel bad for who you are." He said. "He lives his way, and we live ours. Can't see why we have to butt heads about it like a couple of stubborn goats."

"You MURDERED Ms. Samson!" I shouted.

"Yeah, we did. And her blood was just as sweet and fulfilling as any other." Tucker sneered, almost causing me to rush him and get to swing on that smug son of a bitch for his blatantly casual take on the whole situation. But Colby stopped me. He put his hand on my chest to calm me down from being so fired up, and as much as I hated to admit it...the relentless presentation of his natural beauty wouldn't allow my highly craved emotions to rest.