Children Of Sunset 15

"GFD: Children Of Sunset 15"

"Yeah, Colby..." Came a voice from behind me as Tucker and Ahote walked down to meet us at the bottom of the cliff. "...What, precisely do you think you're rattling off about?" Both of their eyes was glowing mighty bright after all this excitement tonight, and no matter how much you try to tell yourself that you ain't got nothing much to worry about...

...I can't stand here and tell you that having all three of them beginning to surround and close in on me like that didn't give me the shivers. And not the good ones I was having when Colby and me was down here kissing.

I think it was pure instinct alone that got me to back up the way I did, trying to keep them all in focus at once. I was scared, alright??? Ain't never met no other fella claiming to be 'something else' before. You're crazy in the head if you think I'm just gonna accept that as enough proof that I can turn my back on a single one of them and not feel a fool for doing so.

"Tucker...can't you just leave me and Deke alone to talk for a minute?"

"Not if this is what you're finna talk about, I can't." He said, his brow all wrinkled up as he kept walking closer. "We ain't got enough problems already, the three of us? We ain't drawn enough attention to ourselves already, without you trying to take on some kind of newblood on top of it all?"

"I didn't approach him with all that. I was just asking him a question." Colby frowned.

"A question that leads to what? Huh? What kinda answer was you looking for?"

"Who says I was looking for any kinda answer. Can't we just talk it out for a bit? The last thing I need is your meddling right now."

Colby stepped right up to Colby and pushed his finger right into his chest. "You gonna mess around and get us all turned to ash. You and that soft heart of yours."

I just took another step back away from them in the dirt, and kept quiet. I heard Ahote say something, and even though it wasn't like any words of English that I've ever heard before, just the way he said it...his facial expression, his gestures, his ton of voice...I could clearly see that he was on Tucker's side about all of this. They both moved in on Colby at the same time, and while I was still too timid to think for a single moment that I'd be able to take them on if it ever came to that...I didn't want to leave Colby standing there all alone to fend for himself without me.

My knees was a bit wobbly, but I took a step forward, and I cleared my throat before saying out loud, "I know where I ain't welcome. You got no cause to take it out on Colby. He didn't bring me out here, kicking and screaming. I rode out here all on my lonesome. And I can LEAVE here on my lonesome too." All three of them turned their heads to look at me, and I was nearly struck speechless by the idea that any one of them, or perhaps all three, could pounce right upon me right now and probably ravage me worse than any blasted coyote in these woods would have the stomach for. But I put on a brave face and attempted to puff my chest out somewhat so as to keep them guessing whether or not they needed to keep their distance from me. "I hope I get to talk to you some other time, Colby. Maybe next time without your little 'friends' around."

Tucker gave me a wicked look. "Now you just hold on there, baby boy...don't get it your mind that it's alright for you to sass me..."

But Colby stopped him, mid sentence. "...Don't worry, Deacon. I'm coming with you. Just to make sure you get home safe."

"I don't need no guardian angel."

"I know. I do. Let's just say that it's for my peace of mind, alright? Can you do me that kindness?" He said with pleading eyes. "After all I spilled out at your feet tonight, I won't be able to do nothing but worry until I know you're back where you can rest easy. Then...maybe I can rest easy too. Deal?"