Children Of Sunset 16

"GFD: Children Of Sunset 16"

Waking up that next morning...the daylight just about blinded me as it came blazing through a small tear in my shade. I hadn't really slept so much as I fought to slow down with the constant tossing and turning the pain in my belly had bouncing around inside of it. Not so much like a knot or a deep wound...but this empty ache that refused to turn loose the heartache I was feeling. Keeping me from forgetting the night before. Pretty as he was...there was a tiny part of me that couldn't see nothing other than a monster in disguise now. Something that ain't right. Nothing of this world as I far as I knew it. It seemed awful silly to even hold on to such thoughts, when I knew Colby wouldn't do anything to hurt me if he could help it.

But that just kept leading me down the path to the real question...

...Could he help it?

The feel of his soft and flawless skin being rubbed up against mine, our lips connected in the most intimate of embraces...I doubt the good Lord above could create a better blessing for anyone who got a chance to be a art of such a sweet and delicate experience. But it had been ruined for me somehow, now that I know what I know. Left wondering if his graceful kiss might be tainted somehow by the leftover tang of blood that he might have been drinking willingly just moments before holding me in his arms the way he done. What then?

My daddy called out for me, telling me to get up so that I could get started on my morning chores for the day...but I hardly felt like I had the energy to do much of anything. My body would wake up, but my feelings were going to feel mighty heavy for a while. I was sure of that.

I washed up in the basin out back, with Daddy already getting a start on breakfast, and Uncle Buster rubbing his face with his hand and his eyes closed. Self nursing his way through another one of his hangovers, no doubt. I don't know how he can keep going back to drown himself in something that always ends up making him feel so bad in the long run.

Then again...thinking about Colby...I may end up having no cause to talk about it. Because I would certainly go back to him again at some point, if for no other reason than I felt the need to see his face again. Feel his hair. Bring in his scent. He was my magic. Colby was my miracle, made custom...just for me.

"You feelin' alright this morning, boy?" My daddy asked, wiping his hands off on a dishrag once the stove top started heating up.

"I'm feeling fine."

"You surely don't sound too fine to me. You want to sit down and talk it out?"

And say what? What was I really going to tell him when it came to this particular situation. Can't say that I even know what corners to cut when it comes to trying to explain myself. "No. Not really." I said quietly, keeping my eyes directed down at the table to keep from giving any more of my true feelings away. "I'll be alright. Just a bit tired is all."

At that moment, I heard a bit of a snarl grumbling from the other side of the table, and Daddy and I took notice of the fact that Uncle Buster had dozed off with his head in his hand. Daddy and I shared a slight giggle for a moment, with him saying, "For somebody who loses so much at the gambling tables, I don't know how that man stays so darned high on the hog all the time." We didn't pay him much mind, but my daddy gave me a concerned look before I was able to hide my eyes from him. "You got any plans for today?" He asked.

I shrugged, sadly. "Can't say. I reckon it depends on what the day brings me."

"Well...when you finish your chores, how about you make your way outside and get yourself some sunshine. You look like you could use a touch. Besides, ain't no need to have you moping all around the house like an old dog on his last legs. You hear me?"