🦆

James pov

As soon as the words left my mouth, I wondered where the hell they'd come from. Emily was staring at me with a mix of horror and surprise, that I was mildly offended by.
Did she really think she was too good for someone like me?
Dan must have agreed with her though, because his eyes went wide as he looked between the two of us. Emily's cheeks were bright red, from the cold or embarrassment, I didn't know.
"Oh, I see," Dan said, then grinned and tapped the side of his nose, indicating that he was going to keep this between us. "Can't say it surprises me. Always thought you two would get together one day. Well, don't let me keep you lovebirds. Drive safe, and I better not see you at makeout point later. Speaking of safe ..."
"Oh my frog, Dan!"  Emily squealed, shushing him and glancing around to make sure no one had heard him.
"Don't worry, sir," I said. "I'd never do anything to hurt my little love bug."
I barely contained my laughter as her cheeks went a darker shade of red.
"You couldn't hurt me," she said. "You could barely hurt a fly. He's the sensitive type, Dan. Cries at all the romcoms, and even the occasional advertisement. Right, my sweet chinchilla."
Dan chuckled then rapped his knuckles on the hood of the truck. "Take it easy, kids." I waited a few seconds for him to move away and then spun toward her.
"Chinchilla?" I hissed at her. "you couldn't have used a more manly animal?"
"Don't complain, or next time I'll call you my little inch worm."
My mouth dropped open in surprise and I blushed. "Much more than an inch, thank you very much. Not that you'll ever find out."
Emily cackled as she climbed into the cab of the truck. "Sounds like someone doth protest too much. Its okay, hermit, I won't tell anyone your little secret."
I got in the passenger seat, lips pressed tight together knowing that whatever I said next would only make matters worse.

_______ AUTHOR 🎶🎵 Get it note? Heh heh. Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter, still trying to make them longer.... BUT I just started college I'm super busy so cut me some slack. Question ❓ do you like James or Emily more?