76. Baby genius - boy or girl?

The last thing Cassidy wanted to do was to think about the fact that she had met her mother. The thought scared her, and she wondered if maybe it was a bad idea confronting both Stephanie and Joanne.

Nevertheless, she decided not to think about that. Instead, she focused on finding out if her baby was a boy or girl. At 15 weeks pregnant, both Cassidy and Spencer were super excited to learn the gender of their child. Cassidy was no longer in her 1st trimester, which meant that Cassidy felt comfortable telling her father about the baby. She was now in her 2nd trimester, which meant that finding out the gender of the baby would be soon. But it also meant that she was going to be following Emily's first request; limiting her field work.

They were so happy that they were only an hour away from Penelope finding out the gender of the baby, and only 3 days until they were going to find out if they were going to be boy parents, or girl parents. Neither Cassidy nor Spencer cared, as all they really cared about was their child growing up happy and healthy.

———
(At The Doctor's Clinic)

Spencer and Cassidy walked hand in hand down the long hallway of the doctors clinic, Penelope eagerly walking behind them. Entering one of the examination rooms, Cassidy sat on the large chair, her OB entering the room.

"Ah, Mrs. Reid, Dr. Reid. Nice to see you both again. How are you doing?" Dr. Samson asked, smiling.

"We're both fine. Excited, actually. We bought a guest, if you don't mind?" Cassidy smiled at the doctor, who chuckled.

"It's no worries. I'm guessing this lovely lady is going to be finding out the gender?" Dr. Samson asked, her eyes glancing between Penelope and Cassidy.

"Yes. My friend Penelope will be finding out today so she can throw a SMALL party." Cassidy smiled at Penelope who shook her head.

"Lovely. Well, if you'd lift your shirt, we can get right on with the appointment." Dr. Samson nodded, watching as Cassidy lifted up her shirt, revealing a larger baby bump. It wasn't super huge, but it had become very clear to everyone that she was pregnant.

Dr. Samson put the gel on Cassidy's stomach, searching and successfully finding the baby. After a few moments of hearing the baby's heartbeat, Dr. Samson gently moved the edge of the monitor, allowing for only her and Penelope to see the screen. This caused Cassidy to breathe in and out deeply, looking up at the ceiling, whereas Spencer looked at Penelope, hoping to use his amazing profiling skills to sus out his child's gender based on Penelope's reaction. Much to his chagrin, Penelope let out a gasp and a big smile, but nothing else. Apart from a gasp and a smile, Spencer had no other indication, which annoyed him.

"We're all done for today. Your baby is progressing perfectly. Just stick to your routine and everything should remain fine. Enjoy your party." Dr. Samson smiled, letting Cassidy, Penelope and Spencer leave the room. They exited the clinic, Penelope gently placing the white envelope in her purse.

Cassidy could tell that Spencer was one moment away from grabbing the envelope out of Penelope's purse.

"3 days Spencer. You can wait." Cassidy held her husband's hand, trying to calm him down.

"I just want to know if I'm going to have a boy or girl! Is that so wrong?" Spencer whined.

"We agreed on finding out through a party, so that's what we're going to do." Cassidy kissed his cheek.

"Speaking of a party, I have to go and get started. I have so much to prepare!" Penelope giggled, leaving Cassidy and Spencer in the parking lot.

———
(3 Days Later)

It was clear that Spencer couldn't wait to find out the gender of his child. Cassidy had lost count of the amount of times her husband had tried to peek at the envelope that held the results. It rested in Penelope's desk drawer. But, after 3 days, it was time for the party. Hotch had come back to the BAU office as a guest with Jack, the same with Cassidy's dad and Diana.

Cassidy and Spencer assumed that it would be them, Penelope, Hotch, Emily, Derek, JJ, Tara and Matt. But, they were very wrong. They knocked on the conference room door, patiently waiting to be let in. Derek opened the door, immediately covering their eyes.

"3...2...1..." Derek spoke, allowing his friends to open their eyes. They looked around at the fully decorated conference room. Streamers were thrown around, baked goods had been precisely set around the table.

"Mom!" Spencer gasped, seeing his mother smile at him.

"Dad!" Cassidy ran up and hugged her father.

"We thought that neither Diana nor Sean should miss out on finding out the gender of their grandchild." Emily smiled.

"Okay, okay. Can we find out already? The wait is killing me!" Spencer begged, seeing Penelope smile.

"Is that alright with the mama bear?" Penelope glanced at Cassidy, who nodded.

"Great! So, this big black balloon holds the answer to the question we're all here to find out. Simply pop it hard enough and the answer will be revealed." Penelope explained, handing the rather large balloon to Spencer, who held it. Penelope gently handed a sharp knife to Cassidy, who took a deep breath in and out. She could see JJ, Emily, Tara and even Hotch pull out their phones, ready to record and take photos.

"Hey, Jack. You wanna pop it with me?" Cassidy looked down at Jack, who nodded. Hotch smiled, letting Jack run over to Cassidy and Spencer.

Jack's hand rested gently on Cassidy's wrist as she carefully held the tip of the knife against the balloon.

"3!" Cassidy started.

"2!" Spencer continued.

"1!" Jack yelled as he and Cassidy quickly poked the balloon hard enough, popping it. Within seconds, blue glitter and confetti were flying out of the popped balloon, falling to the ground. Some of it caught onto Cassidy's hair, while some of it landed on Spencer's shoulders.

"It's a boy!" Penelope revealed, giggling.

"W- We're having a boy." Cassidy started crying, her hands going to her stomach after handing the knife carefully to Derek.

"I'm going to have a son!" Spencer cheered, placing a long and passionate kiss on his beautiful wife's lips. Just like her hands, Spencer's right hand went to her stomach while his left hand rested on her lower back.

"Congratulations!" Everyone else cheered.

At this very moment, Cassidy was happier than she'd ever been. She had a handsome and amazing husband, as well as a baby boy on the way.

After a few minutes, Penelope pulled Cassidy aside.

"Will Joanne know? She is the baby boy's grandmother after all." Penelope whispered.

"No." Cassidy shook her head, intending to ignore the issue that was Joanne Walten for as long as possible.