56. True intention

With Peter Lewis in police custody, another elusive serial killer was behind bars, so cases went on as normal. Of course, the team worried that Cassidy and Spencer's suspension would turn into a worse punishment, but, surprisingly, within 3 weeks of catching Peter Lewis, the Brass had made their decision. They came to the conclusion that yes, while their relationship was against the rules, they would instead focus on their performances as BAU employees.

One case in particular struck Hotch's interest. Mainly because of what the criminal had said to Hotch during their very last interview.

"There's a storm coming, Agent Hotchner, and you're about to be swept away." Antonia Slade smiled, chuckling a little before Hotch left the prison.

———
(48 Hours Later)

"You getting all packed up?" Hotch asked as he watched Jack grab his bag.

"Uh-huh." Jack nodded.

"Good. We're running a little bit late, so..." Hotch stopped when he heard a knock at his front door. Walking over and opening the door, he was greeted to the sight of JJ and her son, Henry.

None of the BAU had seen her sons in a while, considering JJ was heavily into the idea of keeping her work life and personal life a secret. She had even kept her relationship with Will a secret.

"Good morning." Hotch smiled at his co-worker, who entered the apartment.

"Hi." She smiled, her oldest son, Henry, running over to Jack.

"Did you bring the comics?" Jack asked as Henry nodded.

"Yeah, the new one comes out today." Henry smiled.

"We really appreciate you giving us a drive again." JJ smiled at Hotch, who shook his head.

"Sure, absolutely. Anytime." He smiled as he opened his gun safe and took out his gun, putting it into his holster.

"Okay, let's get you packed up. Let's grab your lunch." JJ helped Jack grab his lunch and put it into his backpack.

"Alrighty. You got everything?" JJ smiled.

"Yeah, yeah." Henry and Jack smiled, both of them stuffing comic books into their bags.

"No com- You're not gonna bring comics to school, all right?" JJ shook her head, smiling at their silliness.

"MPD!" Hotch's front door was forcefully opened, men in heavy armour and guns running into the room, aiming at Hotch. JJ quickly grabbed Jack and Henry, standing as far away from the guns as possible.

"I'm on the job." Hotch held up his gun, a stern look on his face.

"Drop your weapon!" One of the armoured men shouted.

"I'm Aaron Hotchner with the FBI." Hotch defended himself.

"We know who you are. Lower your gun!" The man yelled again.

"Who sent you?" Hotch asked, confused.

"Hotch." JJ got Hotch's attention, gesturing to his son, who had a look of terror and fear on his face.

"This is a mistake." Hotch exhaled, putting his gun on the table.

"Daddy, what's going on?" Jack asked, confused.

"It's okay, Jack." JJ kissed his forehead.

"On your knees." Hotch glared at the armoured men as he got down on his knees, his arms still above his head.

"Hands behind your back." The man ordered.

"Is this really necessary?" Hotch questioned.

"Now!" The man yelled, Hotch quickly doing as he was asked.