41. Beating the strain

"Case must be local. JJ said not to bring a go bag." Spencer spoke as he, Cassidy, Emily and Morgan walked out of the elevator, making their way to the BAU bullpen.

"What's the Army doing here?" Morgan asked as a few men from the Army walked past, more of them walking into the bullpen with files.

"What the hell is going on?" Cassidy exclaimed as she and the team walked into the bullpen, being surrounded by Army personnel, and other official government employees. They walked through the sea of people, eventually making it to the conference room.

"Guys, this is Dr. Linda Kimura, Chief of Special Pathogens at the CDC." JJ spoke as she and Dr. Kimura placed pills into small containers. Rossi walked in, wondering the same thing as the rest of the team.

"Hello." Emily smiled, confused.

"Hello. I'm sorry to meet under these circumstances." Dr. Kimura exhaled.

"What circumstances?" Spencer asked, confused.

"We need to get started." Hotch announced. A semi-long silence filled the room before JJ exhaled, speaking.

"Last night, 25 people checked into emergency rooms in and around Annapolis. They were all at the same park after 2 PM yesterday. Within 10 hours, the first victim died. It's now just past 7 AM. The next day, we have 12 dead." JJ explained as she handed out files to the team, each of them glancing at the reports and attached photos.

"Lung failure and black lesions. Anthrax?" Morgan looked around the room, confused.

"Anthrax doesn't kill this fast." Cassidy shook her head, doubtful.

"This strain does." Dr. Kimura nodded, exhaling.

"What are we doing about potential mass targets- airports, malls, trains?" Emily asked, looking around

"There's a media blackout." Hotch shook his head.

"We're not telling the public?" Emily questioned, shocked and confused.

"We'd have a mass exodus." Morgan nodded.

"The psychology of group panic would cause more deaths than this last attack." Rossi mentioned.

"Yeah, and if it does get out, whoever did this might go underground or destroy their samples." Spencer explained.

"Or if they wanted attention and didn't get it, they might attack again. Doesn't the public have the right to know that?" Emily asked, downright shocked by the lack of communication with the public.

"If there is another attack, there's no way we'll be able to keep it quiet. Our best chance of protecting the public is by building a profile as quickly as we can." Hotch insisted.

"What do we know about this strain?" Cassidy looked at the file, eyeing Spencer and Dr. Kimura.

"The spores are weaponised, reduced to a respiral ideal that attacks deep in the lungs. Odourless and invisible." Dr. Kimura explained, looking at each and every member of the team.

"A sophisticated strain. Only a scientist would know how to do that." Rossi shrugged his shoulders.

"These lesions are doubling in size in a matter of hours." Morgan's eyes widened at the photos that accompanied the explanation.

"It's not the lesions I'm worried about. It's the lungs. We don't know how to combat the toxins once they're inside. And the reality is, we may lose them all." Dr. Kimura looked worriedly at the file.

"The remaining survivors have been moved to a special wing at Walter Reed Hospital. Our offices will become a small command center." JJ explained.

"We'll be working with military scientists from Fort Detrick." Hotch announced, Rossi tilting his head in shock.