09 | the sceptical and the jinn

___

___

ussey muqammal kar bhi aao
woh jo adhoori si baat baaki hai
___

They ran.

Mustafa Rahmanzai and Madiha Liaquat ran until they lost their breath, until they lost sight of the paunchy dhaba owner and his lanky server boy. They ran until their cheeks swelled up with colour and their feet felt numb.

Finally when they stopped their eyes collided and lungs heaving for air they broke down laughing. In that moment nothing existed between them. Despite their unconventional circumstances, one being a a runaway groom with no direction in life and the other being an injured-knife- swinging assassin who had secrets up her pocket that she was too burdened down with. Right now, they were just a boy and a girl who had run for their lives, run to survive their desperate circumstances.

Once their laughter ceased they slumped down on the road beside each other, their shoulders unconsciously touching. The scorching torridness of the sun sizzling down their bodies as the dark asphalt beneath their bums seeming like an impeccable conducting material for heat.

"Shit, it feels like I am sitting on raking hot coals ready to become a sheesh kebab" Madiha hissed as she shifted uncomfortably.

"Urgh what I would give to have a sheesh kebab." Mustafa groaned absent mindedly as her closed his eyes and ran a hand through his curls.

"Yes and a cold lemonade too, please." Madiha joined in as she leaned her head on his shoulder closing her own eyes.

Mustafa's eyes snapped open as he felt her head on his shoulder, even through the thick layer of his favourite olive green bomber jacket, he could feel her soft skin, which made him want to touch it, feel it, although he knew how so desperately impossible it would be.

His heart felt like it was soaring high, like it was finally free, he had never experienced something quite like this before. He knew that the both of them were on different paths in life yet somehow at this very point, with her on his shoulder, he felt like he could conquer the world, like he had the stars, the moon, the celestial beings all in the palm of his hand. He didn't want to move, or even breathe if it meant this will last forever. What was wrong with him?

"Mustafa, I am glad you are here with me." Madiha's voice dragged him out of his la-la land thoughts, as she still lay on his shoulder.

"I am glad I am here too." Mustafa whispered back as he contemplated on his life decisions that had lead up to this very moment. To her.

"What have you always wanted to do with your life, Mustafa?" Madiha questioned now, not liking the silence or maybe she was feeling a little chatty, but whatever it was it caused Mustafa's body to go rigid.

"Just humor me please, I need a distraction from the pain in my arm." Madiha snuggled further into his shoulder as she leaned her weight on him more.

"Are you going to be alright?" Mustafa frowned as he angled his head in her direction, before touching her forehead lightly with the back of his hand.