08 | the misplaced and the fortified

___

___

taqseem ho rahi thi
khudayi ki naimatain
ek ishq bach gaya
so mera naam likh diya
___

"The devil will whisper to you nine beautiful lies just to conceal one bitter truth." Farris's mother had once told him, with tear filled eyes, her weak hands massaging the roots of his hair.

A few years down the line, Farris's father had said right after his second marriage, "The truth never makes a good story. The art of fabrication of lies is what man thrives on."

To Farris Hamdani this was just a period of magnanimous revelation. Long gone, dead, was the boy who was naive enough to believe the facade of reality. It was a dangerous pretense that shaped the man he was today. For the worst, of course. He was a product of his mother's helpless resent and his father's manipulative rage.

"Bhai? Bade Hamdani Saab ki call aayi thi." Informed Humza's deferential voice, causing Farris to clench his jaw with annoyance, bringing him away from the abyss of unwanted thoughts.

"I hope you've taken care of it."

"I did my best, but he's very adamant this time. He wants you to have lunch with him at the haveli today."Humza carefully worded his sentence, already expectant of the fury slurring inside of his boss.

"Ye kameena buddha mujhe sukoon mein kabhi nahi dekh sakta." Farris kissed his teeth in vexation," Don't bother answering his calls next time, if you can't handle him, Humza. Is that understood?"

"Jee Bhai." Humza nodded, not alarmed by the subtle insult, but then again with a boss like Farris you'd expect nothing less than this. This was him being kind.

"What's the status on this Mustafa-Aabish fiasco?" Farris questioned as he typed out something on his laptop.

"Aabish's phone has been traced back to a dumpster outside the hotel, the sim destroyed. However when I spoke to her cousins, she had apparently asked one of them for their cell phone claiming her's was dead. She called someone and spoke to them for approximately five minutes, she seemed to have been whispering a guy's name, although the cousin claims to have not been able to make out the name. The call records have been deleted on the cousin's phone, I am in the process of retrieving them." Humza dutifully narrated, the information he had managed to gather.

"Tch, so she has run away with some Jaahil." Farris leaned back in his chair as his eyes danced with mirth. "Her father is going to be ecstatic when he comes to know of his beloved daughter's deeds."