xxviii. echoing cries.

UNITED IN BLOOD
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT !

   THE ROUTINE OF SNEAKING into Danielle's room in the dark of the night and then sneaking out the next morning before she got caught, carried on for the new couple of days

THE ROUTINE OF SNEAKING into Danielle's room in the dark of the night and then sneaking out the next morning before she got caught, carried on for the new couple of days. Every morning, just as the sun began to rise above the horizon, as if her internal clock had a constant alarm set, Ellie would waken and head back to her room.

   Little did she know, that on her first night back in Jackson, first night back in the home and the first night that she'd snuck into Danielle's room, that though her breathing had fallen even and steady, the brunette had been wide awake the entire time. Her heart had been racing, pounding wildly against her chest while she feigned being asleep, all to avoid talking to Ellie. Being with her earlier in the day had worn Danielle out.

   So instead of confronting the redhead about invading her personal space, Danielle chose to remain quiet on the subject, allowing Ellie to continue believing that she was being covert. Danielle couldn't lie that having Ellie back had both stressed her out and made her feel content all at the same time.

   As the days passed by, Danielle grew apprehensive on how to breach the topic of Abby. All Ellie had told her was that she'd let the blonde live but had refused to go into much detail. Maybe she should have just accepted Ellie's words for what they were and not attempt to read further into them but Danielle couldn't help it.

   At one point, she and Abby had been friends. At one point, the blonde had been her closest confidant in the WLF and so of course, she would be curious on the girl's whereabouts. It was only natural despite how the two had parted ways.

"Ellie?" The Linden girl called out as she descended down the stairs. Her voice resounded off of the walls, carrying through the home and to the redhead who was walking out of the kitchen, holding onto a warm cup of tea. The pair met each other halfway. "Why didn't you go through with it? Killing Abby?"

Her curiosity had gotten the better of her.

   "Just couldn't." Ellie's slender figure shook slightly as she shrugged her shoulders. Her arm stretched out, holding out the mug for Danielle to take.

   The brunette took the mug with a mix of shock and appreciation. Never once had she asked Ellie to make her anything. In fact, since Ellie's return, their conversations had been few and far between. Only chatting when it was necessary. Neither girl knew how to spark up a proper conversation, both fearing that it would be riddled with awkwardness that they would much rather avoid.

"Why?" Danielle questioned just before she raised the cup to her lips, sipping away at the warm tea.

The room fell silent with only the sound of a sigh coming from Ellie to break through. She backed herself away from the brunette opposite her, walking away in the direction of the couch.