ix. painful realisations.

UNITED IN BLOOD
CHAPTER NINE !

   DANIELLE LINDEN DIDN'T HAVE the best track record when it came to genuine happiness

   DANIELLE LINDEN DIDN'T HAVE the best track record when it came to genuine happiness. It had been so long, years to specific, since the young brunette had smiled a smile worthy enough to light up her eyes. Sure, she had been happy-ish. She wasn't exactly depressed and hating life 24/7, though no matter the situation, no matter the person opposite her, Danielle just couldn't feel any genuine joy.

   Now, she wasn't a naturally jealous person but she couldn't contain the feeling that bubbled within in as she watched the way Ellie and Dina interacted with each other. It was cohesive and easy, the two girls just naturally cared for one another. No, she wasn't jealous, that's not what the feeling was. No this feeling made her positively green. She was envious.

   The last person to truly care for her was gone and had been ever since the beginning of Danielle's involvement with the WLF. That fateful day as a young, weak and injured Danielle was discovered clutching a knife against a thick, blood splattered tree trunk, that day had been the beginning of the end for the Linden girl.

   Without hesitation, she has been welcomed into the fold by Isaac though to this very day, Danielle couldn't for the life of her understand why. Perhaps the leader of the WLF had seen the young girl as an opportunity. With no children of his own, perhaps the man had initially seen Danielle as a chance to remedy that. If that had been the case, it hadn't lasted long.

   Isaac had put the Linden girl to work instantly, siting that she needed to pitch in if she wanted to stay as his reason. While it was understandable, Danielle hadn't always been a medic. She had once been a soldier, a grunt if you will. Despite the still gaping knife wound that had traveled along her upper thigh, severely hindering her ability to walk, Danielle had been pushed out the door with a gun in hand, headfirst into the conflict between WLF vs Seraphites.

   Isaac was not a good man. Danielle knew this to be a cold, hard fact. It wasn't until she had met Maria and Tommy Miller that the brunette realised the extent of how horrific Isaac and his decisions truly were. The environments of both the WLF stadium and the community of Jackson differed greatly from one another.

   The stadium was cold and distant. The atmosphere bore striking similars with a boot camp. You worked to live and you lived to work. Day in, day out your decisions were decided for you. If you had wanted to move from one end of the stadium to the other, a request had to been put in

That place was rife with the oppression that only a true dictator could impose.

   And yet Jackson had been but a haven in the eyes of Danielle Linden. Despite the terribly sad reasons that fuelled her stepping foot inside the community, the short time she had been a resident had filled the brunette with more genuine contentment than all those years under Isaac's thumb. The town had been overwhelmingly warm, in spite of the finger nipping weather. The citizens had homes, not because they had worked hard for them but because they needed them. Tommy and Maria had managed to build a safe haven for those who needed it most.