Chapter 17: Dion

17Dion

I wasn't familiar enough with Denver to know exactly where I was going, so I drove slowly down the highway as I searched for a Target or Walmart or anything. I found a Walmart less than a mile away and jogged inside as the snow started coming down again. I didn't want to leave Saylor alone for long. God forbid she tried to go to the bathroom or something and fell. I'd never forgive myself.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, just knew that we would need at least a couple of things for the night. The size of the store alone was mind-boggling to me, not to mention the array of items for sale. After spending my entire life shopping at Bill Dock's grocery store in Misfire, which was all of four shelves long, to stand in something like a Walmart was akin to being on another planet.

Hurrying through the throngs of people, I navigated my way through the aisles, picking up extra strength Tylenol and a spare toothbrush and toothpaste for myself. I also grabbed a charger for my dying phone, a package of water bottles, and a box of pop tarts. Chocolate chip. After paying, I hauled my way out of the store and back toward the motel. I drove past it twice and had to make two U-turns before finally pulling into the lot.

Saylor was sleeping again when I made it into the room, so I was quiet as I set the bags on the table, plugged in my phone, then lowered into the empty chair under the window, where I texted Mrs. May.

                                                                          Staying in the world's shadiest

                                                                          motel. Charges by the hour.

Couldn't you find anything

else?

                                                                        Saylor couldn't afford

Tell the girl I'll send some money

to her PayPal. Get her out of that

hooker motel.

                                                                       It's only 1 night. Tmrw I'm bringing

                                                                      her back 2 Misfire.

Good. Are you doing ok?

                                                                      I'm fine. Maggie?

Happy as a clam. Sure you're

Ok without her?

                                                                    So far. Putting all my focus

                                                                    on Saylor

Do I detect romance?

                                                                   Goodnight, Mrs. May

Avoidance is a yes, you

know.

                                                                 C U tmrw.