Chapter 5: Dion

5Dion

I watched Saylor as she slid behind the wheel of her car and drove away. Dori still stood beside me, watching also, and when I turned to see her frowning at me, hands on her hips, I sighed.

"What did you do?"

Scowling, I raised my hands with a shrug. I don't know what I did. Okay, yeah, what I'd said had been a little harsh, but it certainly hadn't warranted that. At least I hadn't thought so. But then... maybe I was just a dick. I'd somehow made Saylor cry after all...

Still frowning, Dori shook her head. "I'm going to bring you a couple of boxes, and you are going to go find her and apologize."

I grimaced up at her before picking up my board. "We're not friends. We just met."

"That's no excuse." She wagged a finger at me. "You make a woman cry, you fix it, whether it's your fault or not. Sometimes, it might be the only remedy she gets."

I inwardly groaned, wondering how I'd gotten myself roped into this mess. Yesterday, I was just the mute kid serving coffee, now I was a GPS, a tour guide, a brunch date, and apparently a douchebag. Yay me... I didn't even get to eat my burger...

Letting out another stiff sigh, I nodded, and Dori turned away. She returned a minute later carrying Mrs. May's mushrooms, which she set on the table before she boxed up mine and Saylor's uneaten meals.

"Tell Nina the mushrooms are on her tab." She said, then picked up Saylor's ten dollar bill and gave it to me. "Return this to her. Lunch is on you today."

The stare I offered her was nowhere near as intimidating to Dori as it felt like on my face. She simply crossed her arms, and I rolled my eyes as I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my wallet. I handed her twenty-five dollars, enough for both of us, plus tip, and she inclined her head before she pocketed it, while I stuffed Saylor's ten into my wallet.

"Good boy. You be sure to bring her back when all is well again."

I highly, highly doubted I would do that. Rather, I was more determined to see how far I could get in not going to look for Saylor without somebody telling somebody who would inevitably tell Dori. Downside of small-town living. But I nodded, and she gave me a snug squeeze on the shoulder as I grabbed my coat, shrugged into it, shouldered my backpack, and left the diner.

First things first, I jogged across the street to Nina May's. My hair and shoulders were already powdered with snow by the time the jingle bells announced my entrance, and I stood on the welcome mat shaking it off while my motherly employer smiled from across the room. There were only two people in the café, both sitting on opposite sides watching the TV with glazed expressions.

Dirk Anders and Samuel Parsons had both been in my graduating class, and both still lived in my neighborhood. Dirk worked at a big department store in Denver and usually wasn't around, but maybe he'd gotten the day off. They both waved as I entered, looking bored.

"Sup, Dion?" Sam inclined his cup to me. "You working today?" I shook my head, making his smile shrink a little. "Shame. You make better cocoa than Nina does. Hers is too watery."

"Excuse you!" Mrs. May called from over the counter, and Sam winced.

"Eh, no offense, Mrs. May."

"No offense indeed. You can bet I'll be I'll telling your mother about your graceless lack of manners."

"Awe, come on, don't be like that. I was only kidding." His eyes turned to me. "Right, Dion?"

Mrs. May fixed me with an arched brow, to which I simply shrugged, wanting no part of it. Still pursing her lips, she crossed her arms. "You sweep this dining room before you leave Samuel Parsons, and I'll consider letting it slide." I hid my smile. Mrs. May was nothing if not old-fashioned.