Chapter 11: Dion

11Dion

Go figure that Saylor would be a Christian. And a devout one, it seemed. My parents would be thrilled. I could already hear my mom's voice should they ever meet. "Maybe she'll have such a good influence on you that you'll find your faith again." I rolled my eyes at just the thought, watching Saylor.

She sat quietly across from me, her eyes doing occasional passes over the yard with an expression I didn't even want to try and define. The wind was blowing again, raising goosebumps on my arms as snowflakes danced around us. Saylor was shivering, I could tell, but she didn't say anything. Rather, she tilted her head over the edge of the tub and stuck her tongue out, grinning as she tried to catch a snowflake.

The sight of it made me smile, and I eased across the tub to sit beside her again, watching to see if she caught one. Her eyes flitted to me for just a second, mouth open and tongue hanging out, and I huffed a quiet chuckle as she closed her eyes and leaned her head back again. Snowflakes were falling everywhere but on her tongue, covering her cheeks, chin, and forehead with quickly melting ice bubbles. But she didn't lean up, and when she finally caught one, she squealed with delight, immediately sitting up to show me.

"I got one!"

But it was already melted, and I grinned as I lifted up a hand to wipe some of the remaining snowflakes from her hair and face, barely aware of my actions until she covered my hand with her own, pressing it to her cheek. Her blue eyes looked back and forth between mine, alight with joy and laughter and a peace that I hadn't known in so long. Made me envy the light in her. At least a little.

"You know... technically I still owe you for having lost at Mario Kart." She mumbled.

I wanted to shrug, wanted to pull away from her, but I was rooted, my gaze locked on hers. My heart swam in my chest as she quickly licked her lips, my head already shaking in resistance as she leaned closer to me. No... don't... but even if I could have spoken, those words were lodged in my throat, rendering me helpless as I stared wide-eyed and gasping into her sky blues. Her right hand raised to lay against my left cheek, bringing us closer, and all the moisture left my mouth on a windy exhale.

But then her lips were on mine. Immediately, my eyes closed, the hand on her cheek sliding up and into her hair while her fingers slid up my arm, tracing the lines in my biceps before they wrapped around my neck. Saylor was warm, and gentle and tasted like cocoa, her lips soft and exploratory as she parted them to let me in. Her soft sigh raised goosebumps on every part of me as she eased up so that her legs were straddling me, sinking us into the deepest part of the tub so the water raised to our shoulders, my back easing down to lay on the angled recline on the far side.

There was no way she didn't feel a certain part of me pressing into a certain part of her, and for a moment, blush filled my cheeks, but she didn't seem to pay any attention to it. Rather, she seemed... excited, shifting ever so slightly so that she rubbed against it, making it press a little harder. My lips parted on an exhale, and I felt her smile against me as I explored her mouth with my own.

The sudden sound of a dog howling, and my neighbor cursing at it next door a second later made us both jump. Pulling away to look over Saylor's shoulder, I could barely see Ed Minton chasing his pit bull through the cracks in the fence. When we met each other's eyes again, it seemed to come crashing down on us what we'd just done. Blush flooded heat into both our faces while we both sat gasping.

"Oh, my gosh..." Saylor blurted, then immediately scooted off of me, where she sat herself on the far side of the tub, arms wrapped around herself. "I'm so sorry." She mumbled, lowering her arms to cradle her face in her hands as she shook her head. "I promise I'm not that kind of person. I don't know what I was thinking."