X

"Liz, I have to say that I feel pretty hurt by your behavior" with a big grin on his face James accepted the bottle of beer that Ben had just fetched from the kitchen and took a sip.

It was Saturday evening and the group of friends had arranged to have a cozy game night at Mia and Ben's place, since the two of them were the only ones who didn't have any other roommates and plenty of space, which was not true of the other three's apartments. Besides, Mia always overdid it with the food and snacks, so that most of the time everyone could still eat three days of it.

"Why? What did I do?" Liz asked in confusion as she too took a sip of her beer before grabbing into the bowl of chips sitting on the coffee table in front of her. "You cheated on me" James clarified.

Ava, who was sitting next to Liz, sucked in a shocked breath. "Liz, how could you?" she asked, stunned, before starting to laugh out loud. "Sure you haven't had enough beer, Jim?" she nodded at James' beer bottle.

"Absolutely. I've never been so clear-headed and so hurt. You broke my heart, Liz" James pretended to sob as he grabbed his chest quite dramatically with his free hand.

"Can you maybe explain to me what you're worried about?" Liz rolled her eyes shaking her head. "I'd be happy to," immediately James had his mischievous grin back on his face.

"I took Donnie for a walk yesterday. My parents were both working, so I was babysitting my little baby..." he started to explain. What he described here as a little baby was a huge Doberman who, when standing on his back legs, was taller than Liz. Donnie was a very well behaved, sometimes a little crazy dog, but James loved his hairy best friend.

"...Anyway, I was throwing him the ball when old Mrs Wellis came up to me with a worried face. You know, the principal's widow. She took me by the arm and asked me if I had heard the rumors about my wife and what I was going to do now. Whether we're going to get divorced" James laughed out.

Liz felt Mia's gaze on her as she squinted her eyes, sighing. The rumors? This story could only go one way. Sam....

"I tried to explain to her that she had me confused. That I'm not Ben, but she said she knew I was James and that I was married to Liz. "James continued.Surprised, Ava looked back and forth between him and Liz. "Did I miss something?" she smirked.

"I was about to tell her that wasn't true either, even though that's what the whole bingo club seems to think, but by then she was interrupting me and talking about how rude that would be of Liz to show her affair so openly around town. According to her, you have no decency and should be ashamed of yourself for trading such a great local boy like me, for a stranger who probably doesn't even appreciate the town and its traditions" James couldn't help grinning, while Liz slapped her hand against her forehead.

"I hope you've enlightened her that we're not married. I'm not having an affair, but have decency" she sighed "No, I figured she was just confused" James clarified. "And when I took Donnie to my parents that night, my mom also suddenly started talking about the stranger you were seen with. So Liz?" expectantly James looked at her.

Liz sighed again. "This town...no one can keep anything to themselves" she muttered. It would only be a matter of time before her parents heard about the rumors too and approached her about it.

"Why haven't I heard about these rumors? What kind of evidence are they based on? And what's the truth to them?" Ava saved Liz from the hoped-for explanation for a brief moment.

"Ava, your mom should really start gossiping with people more, then you would pick up on something like this" Mia shook her head laughing. "Liz was seen at the gym with a guy no one seems to know. Apparently, though, it looked like they were getting along pretty well" she clarified to Ava.

"And who is this mystery guy that no one knows?" Ava asked, looking at Liz in surprise. "He's an NFL player" it blurted out Ben. Suddenly, complete chaos erupted in the living room.

While Liz indignantly looked at Mia and complained that she had said she wouldn't tell anyone, Mia grumbled at Ben that she had told him in confidence and he couldn't just blurt it out, while at the same time telling Liz that Ben wouldn't count, after all, he was her husband.

Ava, meanwhile, was staring open-mouthed at Liz, blinking as if she thought she might wake up from a dream at any moment. James had jumped up from his chair and was pacing all over the living room while making whooping noises.

It took a few minutes for calm to return and for everyone to sit quietly in their seats again.

"Okay, now slow down. You're dating an NFL player?" Ava asked, still shocked at the news. Liz sighed. "I'm not dating him. He gets coffee from me every morning and we see each other at the gym every now and then" she explained.

"He got her out of a machine when she was stuck and on Wednesday they worked out together" Mia added. "How do you know all this?" Ava asked almost miffed. "Because I already called her yesterday and asked her about the rumors" Mia answered her.

"Anyway..." Ava turned back to Liz, "Who is he?" James blurted out, causing Ava to turn around with a groan. "The girls are talking, shut up, fan boy" she hissed at him. Immediately James innocently raised his arms and dropped back into the chair.

"Who is he? Let me see a pic" Ava stared straight at Liz, while Liz shrugged. "I don't have a picture of him" she explained. "Come on, he's an NFL player. There should be enough pictures of him on Insta or the internet" Ava sighed annoyed.

"Possibly, but I don't know his last name. I only know what team and position he plays for" Liz muttered. "James" Ava waved him over. "You're quite an expert when it comes to the NFL" he nodded in agreement. "Can you name us a player by position and team?" again he nodded.

"Liz?" prompting, Ava looked at her best friend. "His name is Sam. He plays for the Bengals as a defensive end" she gave the information. "Bengals, DE...." James considered before snapping his fingers. "Easy. Sam Hubbard."

"Good boy" satisfied Ava patted him on the head as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. "Now let me see that mysterious boy" she mumbled. "Let me see too" immediately Mia squeezed in next to her.

"holy shit, Liz, that dude is hot as fuck" surprised Ava turned the screen to Liz and showed her a picture of Sam in Bengals uniform without helmet. "Is that him?" she asked. Liz had to grin. "Yes, that's Sam."

"And you train with that cutie?" Mia asked in surprise, zomming up to Sam's muscular biceps. Liz nodded. "Can you even concentrate? I mean, when he's standing in front of you sweaty in gym clothes?" Ava asked.

"Girls, uh, we're here too" James spoke up while Ben just nodded in agreement. "Shut up, potato sack and leeks on legs. We're talking about a real man" Ava silenced him with her raised hand.

"He's a dream of a man and I hope you talk him into doing an erotic calendar. I'll help you with the photos. January as a cowboy. February as a fireman..." Ava sighed before raising her finger in warning. "And more importantly. I hope you'll bring him along with you to join us sometime."

WHO DEY🧡