22 | unexpected laughter

Start from the beginning

I chew down on my lip, still pacing. I'm sure that my footprints are about to leave permanent marks on the floor. But when I turn to the wall suddenly a wave of built up rage crashes over me, my head lowers and I stare at the brick with hooded eyes.

Before I know what I'm doing I've released by fist and swung it straight into the wall, stupidly. Of course stupidly. I groan at the shooting pains but I shake out my fist and run a hand through my hair, over and over to distract my mind from my throbbing knuckles.

Footsteps echo behind me, the door to my office creaking. I whip my head over my shoulder to find Alexia stepping into the room, a look of concern and worry across her face. Then she focuses on my heavy anger filled eyes and for a moment fear flashes behind those brown beauties.

She grips onto the door handle, glancing down at my hand that is probably bleeding but I don't look. Her mouth opens once and then twice. "I thought someone was in the house," she breathes out. "I heard the crash and–"

I inhale deeply, grinding my jaw downwards to feel some kind of crunch between my teeth. "No," my voice is gravelly. "No one is in the house."

Alexia purses her lips as she stares back at me, looking from my fist to my eyes and then to my heaving shoulders. I need to calm down, I need a breather. I need a fucking drink. That's what I need.

I snap my head away from the direction of the door and walk straight towards my alcohol cupboard at the back of the room. My fingers pull out a small crafted glass with diamonds carved into it, so small you can barely see them. Then I retrieve a canter of whiskey. I pour way more than I need but if I want to get my head clear, I need a shock to the system.

The presence of Alexia can still be felt behind me but I don't shout at her or tell her to leave, I have other things I need to think of than wasting my energy on her. A flash of guilt rocks through my body, she ran in here thinking there was more danger but it's just my head making irrational decisions.

"Has something happened?" Alexia's voice floats through the room gently.

I raise the glass to my lips and take down half of the golden liquid. It burns the hairs on my throat but it's exactly what I want, except I'll probably end up finishing the whole bottle so I stop myself before I take a second sip.

Slowly I turn back towards Alexia, she's now standing in the middle of my office. Those big brown eyes are staring back at me with apprehension. She knows better than to bother me when I'm angry but for some reason, it doesn't push her away. It brings her closer.

Again, she's bare faced and wearing clothes that make her look cosy and comfortable. I can't help my eyes as they remain glued to her face, her tan skin now flushing to a soft pink as she holds my unnerved gaze.

I tear my eyes away and scowl pathetically at the wall. "I guess I don't know who to trust."

The glass is at my lips again and I taste the spicy yet sweet liquid, running through my veins. I have no idea why I just admitted this to her. She has no idea the stresses of being the boss, the absolute crap that we have to sort through when something becomes an inconvenience to our whole world.

Alexia doesn't back away, she steps even closer. She pauses before my desk. "What are you talking about?" There it is again. That soft voice that makes me think she actually cares about my wellbeing. I grunt silently and slam the glass down on the side.

She doesn't flinch but it makes her take a slow breath. "It doesn't matter."

"Does this have something to do with Gabriel?"

Our eyes find each other like magnets in a field of distrust. I take another sip of my drink as I rip it from the counter, finishing every last drop. She folds her arms over her chest out of the corner of my eye.

"So it is?"

I press a hand to the desk and lean, Alexia's shoulders sag for a second but she doesn't remove her hands from her chest. Her dark brows tug into a low frown and she shakes her head at me.

"Gabriel should be the only person you trust, if no one at all. He cares about you and your empire more than anyone. He's been nothing but loyal and respectful to you. Why do you think you can't trust him?"

I give her props for standing up for her brother. For speaking her truth. But this truth might not be my truth. I press a hand to my forehead and I close my eyes, everything feels like a jumbled mess and I wish someone out there would just tell me what the fucking answer is.

I'm tired of working it out. I'm tired of being lied to. Manipulated.

"Some people are hungry for power."

Alexia's brows raise so high that her whole face changes. "Not Gabriel. He'd never betray you. What is this even about, Lonzo?"

I curse something under my breath. "For his sake, I hope you're right." I ignore her question. It's best to keep her out of this. The more people I drag in, the wearier I'm going to become.

She chews on her lip with that look of concern again. I watch as she loops around my desk and walks towards me, my empty glass back down on my cabinet. She gingerly leans forward to grip my hand, inspecting the cut.

Now I notice that it's bleeding and I've busted open my knuckles. No shock there considering it was a brick wall and I'm not indestructible.

Alexia rocks my hand between her own. They're so soft and delicate. The complete opposite of mine; rough and heavy. "You should probably clean this." She says before glancing up at me.

I flick my eyes between hers and suck in a breath, ignoring how beautiful she looks from this small distance. "I think I liked you better when you were spitting your silly insults at me."

My heart pangs in my chest. It's true. That side of Alexia would infuriate me, it had me lusting after her in an animalistic sort of way. A desire to put her in her place because she thought she could talk to me however she wanted. But now–I don't like this caring side of her.

It fucking terrifies me. I want to run a thousand miles from her to stop this warmth that is now building inside my chest. That soft caress of a voice. The placement of her hand in mine. I want to rip my touch from her grip but a part of me won't let me. I can't.

I've gone from being a gloomy asshole to a fucking weak ass man for a woman I know I could never even be with.

Alexia arches a perfect eyebrow in my direction. "So... should I call you a dickhead whilst I clean this then?"

My head tilts back, despite the current situation with my empire, for a moment I forget that anything is wrong. A laugh escapes me. A fucking laugh. And I can't even remember the last time I found something remotely funny.

By the looks of it, Alexia is shocked too. Petrified maybe.

The sound is so foreign to me that I had no idea my laugh even sounded like that. Not a sarcastic laugh or a forced one. A full blown laugh that has that warmth spreading even more. My head spins as I calm my breathing and force myself to say something, to get myself out of this dreaded moment.

What the fuck is happening to me?

"I think you should–"

The door to my office creaks open louder this time, swinging so that it hits the wall behind it. Gabriel glares at the both of us, furious at the situation. It doesn't make it any better as he glances down at Alexia's hands clutching mine.

Well shit.

✧✧✧

Read up to chapter 51 and bonus chapters over on Patreon!
www.patreon.com/dreammcatcher
Link is also in bio!

Author's Note

Hello my loves, what did we think of this chapter?👉🏼👉🏼👉🏼

Caring Alexia is super cute but I love how she's got him wrapped around her finger😏

OOOp Gabriel, someone isn't going to be pleased!

Who do you think is trying to sabotage Lonzo?

Don't forget to vote, it makes my day!🌟🌟🌟

Love Savanna x

Insta: SavRose.x
Patreon: dreammcatcher
Tik Tok: SavannaWritess