Chapter 11

Jack is late. He was supposed to be here two hours ago. At this rate, the sun's going to rise and the kid was going to wake up before we even got the chance to try and scare her.

I could just give the kid a nightmare. I don't need Jack here to approve my work. Right? No. Jack said that the Guardians laid down rules about my scaring habits and I'm not supposed to give anyone nightmares without a Guardian present in case anything went wrong. I have to wait for him.

What have I come to? Hiding under a bed, waiting for a Guardian to come help me do my job? This is ridiculous and humiliating. I'm leaving. I slip through the shadows and arrive at the frozen lake in Burgess. It's a little early in the year for it to still be frozen, but Jack stays here whenever he can manage.

I look around, hoping to catch the frost spirit playing hooky, but the area is as still and quiet as my lair. That's...new.

Looks like I'll have to actually go searching for the brat. Fine. It shouldn't be so hard. I can read that boy like an open book, so I can take a guess. He could easily be at the house of that boy- his first believer. I would never forget where that kid lives, my most recent downfall was his fault. I slip through the shadows once more, this time apperating in a loud neighborhood. There are bright, colorful lights of red and blue flashing in my face. How annoying.

I get closer to listen to what the officer in front of the boy's house is saying.

"I'm sorry ma'm, we're getting a search party together. Do you have any idea where or why he might have gone? Anything he might have said, or someone he might run to?" The mother in front of the officer clutched her child closer to her chest, tears in her eyes. The fear of a mother wanting for her child's safety. Less appealing than a child's nightmare, but it's still something that I can feel my powers clinging to and leaching off of."No. Sophie woke me up and told me that Jamie hadn't come back from looking for trolls. I-I don't know what was going through his mind to make him leave the house at this hour-" The lady's sobs were interrupted by the little blonde girl who didn't seem worried at all.

"S'okay. Jack'll fine 'em." She stated sleepily. The officer looked at the mother questioningly. "Jack?"

"I'm sorry, don't listen to her. She thinks that Jack Frost is looking for him. Look, just please, I need you to find my Jamie. He must be so scared- It's dangerous to be out at night-"

I've heard enough. It's obvious that Jack backed out of our deal in favor of running off to play with his first believer in the middle of the night. I don't need him anyway. In fact, I'm going to find Jack and tell him that I don't care for his half-hearted help. I can scare just fine without his assistance or support. I'll scare little Jamie so bad that he won't leave the comfort of his bed for days.

I reach into the shadows and soon become them. I would have done this sooner were it not for the fact that after this, I won't be able to use my power for a while. I can see everything the shadows see, feel everything they feel, and sense everyone who lurks in the darkness.

Ugh. There are so many unsavory things that go on in the dark. Shadows are meant to hide the creatures of the night and the horrible things that they do, and this is why there is always a fear of the dark. Some things are not meant to be seen. Such unpleasant actions give good reason to be frightened. There are reasons that I don't do this often.