Ch. 12 Resistance

Theron approached me with excitement in his voice. "Isn't this incredible?" he said.

I was amazed and replied, "It's unbelievable! I would never have thought that life on Callis could exist entirely underwater."

Theron explained, "The magma flows from the core through fissures and enriches the water with nutrients, which supports the diverse aquatic life here. It is also vital for maintaining a stable temperature throughout the year."

As we drew nearer to the city, the towers came into sharper focus. Each skyscraper resembled a mushroom, with a tall and skinny structure and a large circular top. The towers were made entirely of glass, and the structural pieces connecting the panels glittered like diamonds. The towers were so closely packed together that they created a forest-like canopy that dominated the skyline.

I gazed in awe at the city, surrounded by a bubble that Theron explained was necessary to withstand the water pressure from above. Yet water still flowed into the town through countless tubes on the bubble's surface. These tubes branched out into thousands of smaller channels, forming canals that crisscrossed the city and served as the main arteries for transportation.

Upon reaching the main entrance, we easily made our way inside the bubble, even though it was currently under Qoraxi's control. According to Theron, the planet of Callis was not of much importance to them, so their forces were mainly concentrated on Ferronia. As we arrived, Theron suggested that we dock our ship at the 'bay,' where we could pay a small fee for parking. However, the proprietors of the establishment were sympathetic to the resistance, and they offered to hide our ship without any charge. After walking for a few minutes, we finally reached the entrance to the city. A magnificent gateway loomed before us, adorned with two intricately crafted sculptures of seahorses. The seahorses were incredibly detailed, with stunning green gemstones for eyes that beautifully contrasted with the black material they were made of. At the center of the arch, the words "Callis City" were engraved, also in green gemstones. We made our way through the gateway and into the heart of the city.

As we entered the city, we were greeted by the bustling sounds of the marketplace. The smell of freshly caught seafood filled the air, and vendors were shouting out their goods. The buildings around the market were made of colorful coral bricks and had intricate carvings of sea creatures. The streets were crowded with Callians, all bustling to their destinations. 

The Callians have a unique appearance that sets them apart from other underwater creatures. Their bodies are humanoid in shape with long, flowing fins extending from their limbs and back. They possess bright, iridescent skin that glimmers in the light, reminiscent of the scales of a tropical fish. Their hair is thick and luxurious, often in bright shades of blue, green, or purple, and is adorned with shells, pearls, and other sea treasures. Their eyes are large and expressive, often featuring vibrant hues of blue, green, or yellow.

Theron told us that Callians also have a playful and curious nature. They are often seen swimming and playing in groups and enjoy exploring their underwater world. They have a love for music and dance and are known for their lively and colorful festivals that celebrate the bounty of the sea.

As we moved away from the market, the streets became quieter and the buildings taller. The architecture was a mix of futuristic and classic design. Some buildings were made entirely of glass, while others were made of a blend of coral and metals. The tallest building in the city was the Central Tower, which stood at the center of the city and had a spiraling design resembling a seashell.

The residential areas were quiet and peaceful, and the buildings were adorned with coral and algae gardens. The Callians took great pride in their gardens and would often display them in competitions. Each building had a unique garden with different colored flowers, seaweeds, and even miniature trees.