Chapter 31

"I like you." I finally said.

Her lips parted while she stared at me, and I didn't break our eye contact. She looks dazed, but I can see the hint of redness on her cheeks, so I continued.

"Now it's clear to me and I will not ignore it anymore. I like you. I like your whole being. I like Chantel Olivia Carter."

I was waiting for her response but I froze when she suddenly hugged me.

"Finally." I heard her whisper. "I am extremely happy right now that you finally realized it, but you're still my student, and I am your professor, so I want us to take it slow. I am not turning you down, but I cannot engage in a relationship with my student yet, so I'll wait for you until you graduate." She backed away and held my cheek. "Is that okay with you, honey?"

"I understand." I answered. I was expecting din naman na iyon ang sasabihin niya.

"I'm going to Spain next week for my grandma's birthday. You wanna come?" She asked, smiling.

...

"¡Feliz cumpleaños, abuelita!" (Happy birthday, grandma!) Chantel greeted her grandma as soon as we entered their home.

They hugged each other while I remained standing near them while carrying the cake that we had bought earlier.

"Gracias, cariño. Qué sorpresa verte." (Thank you, darling. What a surprise to see you.) Her grandma happily replied.

There are a lot of people inside, so I assume their entire family is here. It's like when our family gets together, but since I've never been here before, it's awkward for me.

"By the way, grandma. I'm with my special girl today. I would like you to meet Venice." Pakilala ni Chantel sa akin at nakangiti akong nilingon. "Venice, this is my Grandma Feliz."

"H-Happy birthday po." I was nervous as hell 'cause they all looked at me.

Grandma Feliz walked towards me and gave me a hug. "Welcome to the humble home of Familia Ruiz, and thank you for coming to my birthday, darling."

After that ay isa-isa namang lumapit sa akin ang iba pang family members and they were genuinely happy, and I'm hoping that I managed to entertain them all, even though it was overwhelming.

A week has passed since I told Chantel how I feel, and I can say that whatever confusion I had about my feelings is finally gone. Now I can say with all the confidence in the world that I really like this woman.

We often spend time with each other after school hours. It's either we go to museums, or take a walk in the park, and most of the time she cooks me dinner in my penthouse.

Now, I understand why Edward said when he told Bella that his life before her was like a moonless night and that when she came, she was like a meteor. Suddenly everything in his life was on fire; there was brilliance and beauty. But unlike him, my life was bright before Chantel. Seeing the love between my moms was blinding. It was so bright that I got burned sometimes. So when she came into my life with all her darkness, it was comforting. So this is what being a nyctophile feels like. This woman, standing in front of me, laughing with her family, is like my night and moonlight in one place.

"You okay, love?" Chantel asked after sitting beside me on the couch.

Everyone is still chit-chatting in the dining room and I excused myself to breathe some air after eating.

"Yeah. Just thinking." I answered and gave her a soft smile.

"Have some Crema Catalana. This is abuelita's specialty." She showed me a small bowl of burnt cream that looks like a Crème brûlée. "Here."