Chapter 30

"Ate?"

Tam's voice prompted me to open my eyes, take off my sunglasses, and then turn to face her with a raised eyebrow.

"Wala. Just checking lang if you're asleep." She let out an awkward laugh before laying down on the lounge chair beside me.

I rolled my eyes and put on my sunglasses again. Kanina pa ako nakahiga rito sa lounge chair 'cause I'm not in the mood to swim. Wala rin sa plan ko na pumunta rito sa Enchantress but Mommy Tami requires me to go with them kaya hindi na ako naka-angal.

"You don't want to swim?" I heard Tam-Tam again.

I looked at the shore where the professors are. Miss Olivar is busy with the sand, it looks like she's trying to build a sand castle. Miss Carter is sitting on the other side with Miss Andrade, and they're watching Miss Tan and Miss Hidalgo drive the jet skis.

"I'm not in the mood. Why don't you join them?" I answered.

"I just want them to bond with each other, especially Ava. I know teaching is tough and stressful, and this is the only time where they can relax, so I want them to enjoy it." Tam said.

Nanahimik ako when something popped into my head. I've been ignoring that idea for a long time, but it bothers me at times.

I'm also aware that I can't ignore this forever, so I took a deep breath to compose myself.

"How did you know that you really like Miss Andrade?" I asked, still watching the professors.

"Ate, I know you're a very objective and systematic person, but I can't give you any numerical information because our emotions can't be quantified. I can't also tell you the step-by-step procedure because it doesn't have a standard operating procedure to follow. What I can give you, rather, are signs or indications that will help you evaluate your own situation and determine whether you ever felt this way about someone."

I remained silent and shift my gaze to the umbrella above me. Indications huh.

"At first, I thought I was just enthralled with Ava because the first time that I saw her, she seemed interesting. It also crossed my mind that the reason I wanted to know more about her was because I was curious—she fascinates me. But it all changed the moment I saw someone try to hurt her. There's this feeling of protectiveness over her that, for the life of me, I can't understand. Habang tumatagal at nakikilala ko pa siya lalo, the need to shield her became stronger lalo na when she's breaking down. The first time she sobbed in front of me, I swore to myself that I will protect her and be there for her always. Whatever it takes."

A series of thoughts hit me, and I remember the same scenarios with Miss Carter.

I thought saving her at the bridge meant nothing and that it was just a normal thing, but when I got to know her better and witnessed her breakdown a lot, I've come into terms with the feeling of wanting to protect her from all these things, everytime.

"We don't feel that way towards all the people we've met, right? And that's when I realized that I really like her."

I closed my eyes without saying anything.

...

My eyes are locked on the spinning bottle while my heart is pounding fast because I'm afraid that it will stop and point at me.

I don't know why I'm involved in this game in the first place, and thinking about those dares and questions makes me want to walk out.

"Ang bilis naman ng part ko." Miss Carter said after the end of the bottle stopped in front of her.

Tumawa pa ito saka bumunot sa question jar but her smile disappeared after opening the paper.

"What is your worst experience?" She read while her face turned into a serious expression.