Chapter Twenty-Four: An Evening with Her Family

Start from the beginning

What did she say in her thoughts?

Her husband!

Whoa—where did that come from?

Normally, she never called or thought of Victor as such.

Turning his wrist, Rex checked out the time on his watch and frowned at his sister. "So, where's the birthday boy? Don't tell me he's not coming to the family dinner I've thrown for him."

For some reason, Regina looked uncomfortable. "He did call me half an hour ago," she cleared her throat and started to pour herself a glass of cold water. "He's caught up in a last-minute meeting with the foreign delegates you introduced to him that day about outsourcing for the company. Apparently, there's been some emergencies."

Rex looked satisfied with the explanation and started to serve himself a nan and chicken kebab.

Victoria was fascinated when Victor only ate the dishes she took herself. 

Another strange fact was that although Victor was eating, every now and then, he was slipping his hand discreetly underneath the table and grabbing her hand. He would rub his palm against hers, roll her thumb slowly on the back of her hand or slip his fingers between hers to give light presses whenever Regina or Rex attempted to converse with her.

His ministrations on her hand were otherwise innocent. However, the swirling heat that began to originate inside her stomach made her question to herself if they were as innocent as they looked. Or perhaps, she was the culprit herself.

Her father and Regina, between their talks, were consistently watching them. They were even having some eye-to-eye talks that Victoria felt a bit anxious about.

"So, it seems you guys have settled down as a couple quite nicely," Regina spoke, eyes settled on Victoria hard.

Victoria wasn't quite prepared for it what happened next.

"That's true," Victor replied to her aunt and, simultaneously, brought out both of their conjoined hands up into the open. Not only that, he did something entirely outrageous after that. 

Regina's eyes narrowed no matter how much she tried to stop the action. Even Rex had paused eating and was looking at Victor and Victoria's joined hands.

"Well, that's splendid," Regina commented in an overly sugary manner. "Now, when are you two going to give us the good news and make a child? And try to make sure it's a boy or else your dear mother's company along with Rex's entire properties."

For a moment, they remained silent. She looked at the peripheral, Victor's eyes narrowing.

"As far as I know," Victor spoke calmly. "Making babies is an extremely personal plan a couple makes at their own convenience."

Stunning Victoria, Victor lifted their joined hands and placed a chaste kiss on the back of her hand.

Victor continued without paying any attention to her flushed state. "And according to well-known recent day laws, if one is not a retard moron still following rules of hundreds of years ago, that is, a daughter is as deserving enough as a son to inherit a family property."

Rex wiped his mouth with the napkin. He stared wide-eyed at Victor. Regina was wide-eyed too. It seemed none of the two were prepared for Victor's cutthroat reply on behalf of Victoria.

"Do you two wish to own my properties now?" Rex remarked in a cold tone.

It was Victoria who replied then, "Only my mother's. It's her memories that I wish to keep forever."

"You—" Rex was beginning to say something, and Victor curled his freed hand into a fist.

But cackling the fakest laugh ever, Regina intervened, perhaps, thinking it was better to put out the fire she had lit in fear it would become lava any moment. She tapped on Rex's shoulder. "Ah—Rex, these children have such a sweet bond between them—giving replies on behalf of one another, holding hands, being so mushy. How absolutely splendid!"