Epilogue: "Life and Death"

Istaroth claimed the lives that had been bargained with time in its absence without regret. Among them, the life of Lisa Minci.

A stormy sky over the city of Sumeru accompanied the delicate ceremony that was taking place. Mona could see all sorts of familiar faces. On the stand, she did not focus on any of them.

She looked at Lisa's lifeless one and saw the future she had predicted not so long ago. Despite knowing it, that did not cause the claws of death to leave their mark on all those who suffered the loss. For some present, it seemed to be as heartbreaking as itself.

"Death is an inevitable fate that shows our doom. From the moment we are born, we have an end. Some are allowed to live a full and prosperous life. Others, we are left behind as planned. And then there are those long-lived sufferers of all kinds of losses during their years of life."

Her eyes fell on Wanderer on that occasion. He was leaning against one of the columns in the back, watching her intently. He wore the colours of the Akademiya, like herself. Only they wore mourning robes, a dark green, almost black. Nahida stood beside him, listening to her as well.

"I was aware of Lisa's fate myself from the moment I met her. I knew it was too late. That what you see today would happen sooner rather than later. From my experience, I tell you that, regardless of this cruel and inevitable end, live day by day without fearing it, as part of your story. Make the most of every second you are given and love freely those you love the most. Tomorrow may be too late to regret not having done anything about it. Destiny is irremediable, whatever you do to reach it, it is not."

Mona took a breath and closed her eyes momentarily. She was used to speaking the truth, no matter how harsh it was. But when it was someone she knew, it was hard to remain neutral about it.

"I didn't know her as well as others here. Still, I want to end by thanking Lisa for her services as a librarian. For being a walking source of knowledge and helping me in times of trouble. She also left this academy once. I am convinced that her footprints have been carefully marked, worthy of admiration and inspiration. She is not completely gone, and I trust her memory will live on in us forever."

Mona stepped down from the stand and the next to speak was the Akademiya scribe. She returned to Wanderer and Nahida's side, then allowed herself to look at the union of Sumeru and Mondstadt in the room. From the tear-stained faces of the Favonius Knights to the former Akademiya classmates.

She reflected on the fragility of human life until the ceremony ended. Until she and Wanderer left the place together.

★ ★ ★

Wanderer and Mona were in their usual line, lying on the grass watching the stars. Even if Istaroth had resumed his command, it was her opinion that the stars still looked the same as ever. They were as false as the truth about that world they contained and witnessed.

All three of their lives had been witnessed by them. And, somehow, it comforted her to know they would be the same until the last of their days. That she, no matter how much she changed and evolved, would continue to see the same ones. They, too, will always know who they have been, who they are and who they will be.

And as long as she had Wanderer to admire them with her, she would always find them comforting.

★★★

Note: As I told you in the second chapter, this story was a simple one-shot. The first one was all you were going to get, however, thanks to some readers and friends, I finally decided to write the whole story. I can't thank you enough for your support during these months. Definitely, I will write more long fics with them at another time, I have other ideas in mind. By the way, I wanted to make them soulmates and also have parallels in their stories: 3 times of innocence, corruption and redemption, a mentor who took them in despite all their actions... Everything was connected from the beginning. Have you noticed? Well, and after this emphasis, I'll say goodbye, see you soon!